From: John Corliss on
Le Loup wrote:
> calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application
> developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia
> of features divided into the following main categories:
> * Library Management
> * E-book conversion
> * Syncing to e-book reader devices
> * Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
> * Comprehensive e-book viewer
> * Content server for online access to your book collection
> 3 versions : Win / OSX / Linux (snip)
>
> http://calibre-ebook.com

If, like the developers told me, the Windows version floods the registry
with entries because of the Microsoft Installer used, it seems to me
that the best new feature they could come up with would be to use
another installer like Inno:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

In the mean time, I won't use the program because of the registry bloat
it imposes on my system.

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.
From: Le Loup on
Le Sun, 08 Aug 2010 01:34:54 -0700, John Corliss a �crit :

> If, like the developers told me, the Windows version floods the registry
> with entries because of the Microsoft Installer used, it seems to me
> that the best new feature they could come up with would be to use
> another installer like Inno:
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
> In the mean time, I won't use the program because of the registry bloat
> it imposes on my system.

I understand...
I use it because of its unique features, but I'm still dreaming of a
portable version.

--
Le Loup Th��tre - www.lelouptheatre.fr
et trois sont les vaisseaux... - www.3vaisseaux.fr
From: Lono on
Does anyone have an alternative that will convert various (.txt, .rtf,
..doc, etc.) documents to epub?

From: Le Loup on
Le Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:45:19 -0700, Lono a �crit :

> Does anyone have an alternative that will convert various (.txt, .rtf,
> .doc, etc.) documents to epub?

There are addons for OpenOffice, but they aren't very efficient.
You can also try Sigil : http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

From: HeyBub on
John Corliss wrote:

> In the mean time, I won't use the program because of the registry
> bloat it imposes on my system.

???

Why does "registry bloat" bother you? The size of the registry has no effect
on efficiency, speed, or vulnerability.

If, on the other hand, adding registry entries makes the program itself more
efficient, easier to use, or faster to develop, where's the bad?