From: Andreas Gaeb on
Hello everybody,

I'm writing a specific bash completion function from which I want to
directly call a readline function (namely redraw-current-line). Is it
possible to invoke those functions programmatically from a bash script,
without any key press or binding involved?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Andreas Gaeb <andreas.gaeb(a)OHNEDIESESpost.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm writing a specific bash completion function from which I want to
> directly call a readline function (namely redraw-current-line). Is it
> possible to invoke those functions programmatically from a bash script,
> without any key press or binding involved?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andreas

Yet another obscure technical challenge from yet another alias
that hasn't posted here in the year and a half I've been
subscribed to the group (I run slrnpull and have all the posts
here). It sure looks there is a headsick troll jerking this group
around.

Sid

From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-16 03:19:41 -0500, Andreas Gaeb said:
> I'm writing a specific bash completion function from which I want to
> directly call a readline function (namely redraw-current-line). Is it
> possible to invoke those functions programmatically from a bash script,
> without any key press or binding involved?

I don't believe so. From inside a script, I'm not even sure you can tell
whether or not readline is doing anything at all.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net

From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-16 06:56:02 -0500, Sidney Lambe said:
> Yet another obscure technical challenge from yet another alias
> that hasn't posted here in the year and a half I've been
> subscribed to the group (I run slrnpull and have all the posts
> here). It sure looks there is a headsick troll jerking this group
> around.

Clearly, that's the most likely explanation. Certainly, in all the
history of Usenet, no one has ever started reading and/or posting
in a group entirely because they wanted to ask a particular question
which was not easily answered by google searches.

I mean, apart from it happening thousands of times a day, it's
very rare indeed.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net

From: Bit Twister on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 00:49:55 -0500, Seebs wrote:
>> On 2010-04-16 06:56:02 -0500, Sidney Lambe said:
>> It sure looks there is a headsick troll jerking this group
>> around.
>

> I mean, apart from it happening thousands of times a day, it's
> very rare indeed.

Please, do not feed the local troll.