From: Bret Cahill on
Is prefiltering or filtering before the phase sensitive detection step
of lock in a common practice?

If the signal frequency is in a fairly narrow band, say one octave,
can a band pass filter speed up the aquistion time of a lock in?

Bret Cahill

From: Bob Masta on
On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:45:07 -0700 (PDT), Bret
Cahill <BretCahill(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

>Is prefiltering or filtering before the phase sensitive detection step
>of lock in a common practice?
>
>If the signal frequency is in a fairly narrow band, say one octave,
>can a band pass filter speed up the aquistion time of a lock in?

I think you may be conflating "lock-in amplifier"
with "phase locked loop". Lock-in amps typically
use PLLs to acquire their own internal copy of an
external reference signal. Modern lock-ins then
multiply sine and cosine versions of this
reference by the input signal to be measured.

In many applications, where the reference is under
your control (you are generating it), the PLL is
totally superfluous and is actually detrimental,
due to the long lock time. If you generate sine
and cosine versions of the reference and feed them
to the multipliers directly, there is no "lock"
time. Then the only time lag is due to the
low-pass output filter that follows each
multipler... the narrower the ultimate bandwidth,
the longer the lag.

In that respect, it's just the same as if you had
(somehow) built up a super-duper narrowband
bandpass filter from conventional circuitry
instead of going the multiplier/low-pass route:
The ultimate bandwidth determines the lag.

Typically, lock-ins are used to get ultra-narrow
bandwidths (1 Hz or less, often *way* less),
which you couldn't approach with a conventional
analog bandpass filter due to impossible Q (and
hence stability) requirements.

Preceding the signal input with a filter will only
add the delay of that filter to the lock-in
process. It won't improve the response of the
overall output. (Not to mention that in most
situations the external pre-filter will be orders
of magnitude wider than the ultimate lock-in
bandwidth anyway.)

However, the "acquisition time" that lock-in specs
mention has to do with the PLL lock time. Nothing
you put on the signal input will help that, and
anything you put on the reference input will most
likely degrade it.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v5.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator
Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever!
(Some assembly required)
Science (and fun!) with your sound card!
From: George Herold on
On Jul 1, 8:45 pm, Bret Cahill <BretCah...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Is prefiltering or filtering before the phase sensitive detection step
> of lock in a common practice?
>
> If the signal frequency is in a fairly narrow band, say one octave,
> can a band pass filter speed up the aquistion time of a lock in?
>
> Bret Cahill

I have no idea what you mean by 'speed up'.

The old EG&G 124A

http://www.kandelelectronics.com/products/6980/

had a band pass filter on the front end. This was to increase the
dynamic range. (Filter and then amplify some more!)

Why do you say your signal frequency is in a narrow band? Typically
the lockin has a single frequency. (The modulation frequency.) If
you are changing the modulation frequency then the phase shift of the
band pass filter might cause some problems.

George H.
From: Bret Cahill on
> >Is prefiltering or filtering before the phase sensitive detection step
> >of lock in a common practice?
>
> >If the signal frequency is in a fairly narrow band, say one octave,
> >can a band pass filter speed up the aquistion time of a lock in?
>
> I think you may be conflating "lock-in amplifier"
> with "phase locked loop".   Lock-in amps typically
> use PLLs to acquire their own internal copy of an
> external reference signal.  Modern lock-ins then
> multiply sine and cosine versions of this
> reference by the input signal to be measured.

The original intent was for the reference to be generated externally.

> In many applications, where the reference is under
> your control (you are generating it),  the PLL is
> totally superfluous and is actually detrimental,
> due to the long lock time.  If you generate sine
> and cosine versions of the reference and feed them
> to the multipliers directly, there is no "lock"
> time.  Then the only time lag is due to the
> low-pass output filter that follows each
> multipler...

That still takes time.

> the narrower the ultimate bandwidth,
> the longer the lag.

Which could be years . .

> In that respect, it's just the same as if you had
> (somehow) built up a super-duper narrowband
> bandpass filter from conventional circuitry
> instead of going the multiplier/low-pass route:
> The ultimate bandwidth determines the lag.

The low pass filtering operation of band pass should always take more
time than the high pass step. It doesn't take any time to eliminate
dc.

> Typically, lock-ins are used to get ultra-narrow
> bandwidths (1 Hz or less, often *way* less),
> which you couldn't approach with a conventional
> analog bandpass filter due to impossible Q (and
> hence stability) requirements.

It depends on the how much time you have to eliminate how much noise.

> Preceding the signal input with a filter will only
> add the delay of that filter to the lock-in
> process.  It won't improve the response of the
> overall output.  (Not to mention that in most
> situations the external pre-filter will be orders
> of magnitude wider than the ultimate lock-in
> bandwidth anyway.)
>
> However, the "acquisition time" that lock-in specs
> mention has to do with the PLL lock time. Nothing
> you put on the signal input will help that, and
> anything you put on the reference input will most
> likely degrade it.

If you have a good in-phase reference then adding on more "blind"
forms of filtering, even adaptive filtering using a reference of
unknown phase angle filtering, isn't going to save any time.

Bret Cahill

From: Bret Cahill on
> > Is prefiltering or filtering before the phase sensitive detection step
> > of lock in a common practice?
>
> > If the signal frequency is in a fairly narrow band, say one octave,
> > can a band pass filter speed up the aquistion time of a lock in?
>
> > Bret Cahill
>
> I have no idea what you mean by 'speed up'.

It takes a certain amount of time for the ac signal + ac noise, after
it is converted to a dc signal + ac noise, to integrate and overwhelm
the ac noise.

> The old EG&G 124A
>
> http://www.kandelelectronics.com/products/6980/
>
> had a band pass filter on the front end.  This was to increase the
> dynamic range.  (Filter and then amplify some more!)
>
> Why do you say your signal frequency is in a narrow band?  Typically
> the lockin has a single frequency.   (The modulation frequency.)  If
> you are changing the modulation frequency then the phase shift of the
> band pass filter might cause some problems.

This was originally about the multiplication of a noisy signal by a
good clean reference. Both the signal and reference always have the
same phase angle, 0, but the frequency of both change [together] over
a narrow frequency range.

Supposing you cannot get a good clean reference, just another noisy
signal where the second signal is in phase with the first? The
product of two noisy signals is a rectified signal plus ac noise --
just like in conventional phase sensitive detection except the
magnitude of the rectified signal has no use. If the product of the
two signals isn't desired the only thing the product could be used for
is the frequency which would need to be picked out by tuning another
circuit to that frequency.

Bret Cahill