From: pawihte on
What is a general term for a connector - any connector in common
use, male or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to
distinguish it from one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?

From: Phil Allison on

"pawihte"

> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in common use, male
> or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to distinguish it from
> one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?

** Line.

Line plug, line socket, line male, line female .... etc.

.... Phil

From: Rich Webb on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:41:31 +0530, "pawihte" <pawihte(a)fake.invalid>
wrote:

>What is a general term for a connector - any connector in common
>use, male or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to
>distinguish it from one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?

One convention is to refer to the connector on the receiving or "more
stationary" object as a receptacle and to the connector on the active or
"moving" object, i.e., on the end of the cable, as a plug.

So, the old IBM PC standard 9-pin serial port is a female receptacle and
the connecting cable has a male plug on the end. Common network wiring
uses modular receptacles on equipment and wall-plates with modular plugs
on the ends of the cables.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:15:53 +1000, "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>"pawihte"
>>
>> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in common use, male
>> or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to distinguish it from
>> one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?

We say "cable connector" or "the connector on the cable."

John

From: pawihte on
pawihte wrote:
> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in
> common
> use, male or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to
> distinguish it from one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?

Thanks for the replies. But the different replies seem to
indicate that there's no single technical term for it.

One specific case was when a friend visiting a larger city (I'm
in a small town) called to ask if I needed anything. At that
time, I needed some 25-pin D-sub connectors for a cable. I told
him I wanted "cable types". He bought the correct type, but I
wondered if there was a standard term for it.