From: krw on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:15:53 +1000, "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:

>"pawihte"
>>
>> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in common use, male
>> or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to distinguish it from
>> one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?
>

>** Line.
>
>Line plug, line socket, line male, line female .... etc.

"line" => power

A "line plug" is the power plug.
From: Bob Masta on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 22:40:18 +0530, "pawihte"
<pawihte(a)fake.invalid> wrote:

>pawihte wrote:
>> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in
>> common
>> use, male or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to
>> distinguish it from one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?
>
>Thanks for the replies. But the different replies seem to
>indicate that there's no single technical term for it.
>
>One specific case was when a friend visiting a larger city (I'm
>in a small town) called to ask if I needed anything. At that
>time, I needed some 25-pin D-sub connectors for a cable. I told
>him I wanted "cable types". He bought the correct type, but I
>wondered if there was a standard term for it.

The term I usually see for this is "mount", as in
"cable mount" or "chassis mount".

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v5.10
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator
Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever!
(Some assembly required)
Science (and fun!) with your sound card!
From: pawihte on
Bob Masta wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 22:40:18 +0530, "pawihte"
> <pawihte(a)fake.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pawihte wrote:
>>> What is a general term for a connector - any connector in
>>> common
>>> use, male or female - that's fitted at the end of a cable, to
>>> distinguish it from one that's mounted on a box or a pcb?
>>
>> Thanks for the replies. But the different replies seem to
>> indicate that there's no single technical term for it.
>>
>> One specific case was when a friend visiting a larger city
>> (I'm
>> in a small town) called to ask if I needed anything. At that
>> time, I needed some 25-pin D-sub connectors for a cable. I
>> told
>> him I wanted "cable types". He bought the correct type, but I
>> wondered if there was a standard term for it.
>
> The term I usually see for this is "mount", as in
> "cable mount" or "chassis mount".
>
> Best regards,
>

> Bob Masta

I've seen "chassis mount" and "PCB mount" and used them myself,
but not "cable mount". Seems OK is there's no definitive
universal term.