From: JD on
Hi Experts :-)

I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
today. Now, when I press the start button, it
click-clicks and the carriage does not move.

I removed the screws and tried to take the top
off. The front of the top has catches that project
into the base so it does not allow me to lift up
the front. I removed the screws from the back and
it will lift slightly but seems to be caught in
something. I don't want to force it, so if someone
has experience of this model I would appreciate
advice on how to take it apart without wrecking it.

TIA
From: Cydrome Leader on
In sci.electronics.repair JD <JD(a)no-where.con> wrote:
> Hi Experts :-)
>
> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
> today. Now, when I press the start button, it
> click-clicks and the carriage does not move.

is that model old enough to have a lock/transport mechanism that may have
been bumped and engaged?
From: Meat Plow on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:48:34 +0000, Cydrome Leader ǝʇoɹʍ:

> In sci.electronics.repair JD <JD(a)no-where.con> wrote:
>> Hi Experts :-)
>>
>> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until today. Now, when I
>> press the start button, it click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>
> is that model old enough to have a lock/transport mechanism that may
> have been bumped and engaged?

I haven't seen one that didn't lock. Not saying there may be some that
don't. All 4 of my Canon LiDE scanners lock. Don't ask why I have 4 :)
And all the others back to the first SCSI scanner I owned back in the
90's locked.
From: whit3rd on
On Jul 1, 11:36 pm, JD <J...(a)No-where.con> wrote:
> Hi Experts :-)
>
> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
> today.  Now, when I press the start button, it
> click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>
> I removed the screws and tried to take the top
> off. The front of the top has catches

After the screwed-down end is loose, lift it slightly
and the top can be pushed off the catches.

As others have noted, clicking sounds sometimes
come from the lock being engaged, sometimes it's
just a sticky rail or the motor isn't getting full
power (check the power supply voltage).

Be sure to clean the glass inner surface before you
reassemble.
From: JD on
Meat Plow wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:48:34 +0000, Cydrome Leader ǝʇoɹʍ:
>
>> In sci.electronics.repair JD <JD(a)no-where.con> wrote:
>>> Hi Experts :-)
>>>
>>> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until today. Now, when I
>>> press the start button, it click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>> is that model old enough to have a lock/transport mechanism that may
>> have been bumped and engaged?
>
> I haven't seen one that didn't lock. Not saying there may be some that
> don't. All 4 of my Canon LiDE scanners lock. Don't ask why I have 4 :)
> And all the others back to the first SCSI scanner I owned back in the
> 90's locked.

Thank you CL and MP.

The scanner is indeed old. I can't remember when I
bought it but the manual
that came with it has: Copyright 2000.

I knew about the lock. The carriage needs to be
locked while moving the scanner around and then
unlocked when the scanner needs to be used.

I decided to replace the screws and then to go
carefully through the known steps - connecting and
turning on in the right sequence. It worked fine
then, except from one messy situation that really
irked me with the Copy facility. It had collected
all my 3 fax progs and a PDF prog for the
destination of the scan - no such place as a
folder to place the copy. The normal setting for
the group (faxes and PDF prog) was alphabetical,
so when I made my copies it flashed open the fax
prog and I had to stop and take another route to
get the job done. Anyone experience this
limitation? Or is there a setting that I have missed?

It's quite a complicated piece of work.

Have a great weekend guys :-)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3