From: JD on
whit3rd wrote:
> On Jul 1, 11:36 pm, JD <J...(a)No-where.con> wrote:
>> Hi Experts :-)
>>
>> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
>> today. Now, when I press the start button, it
>> click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>>
>> I removed the screws and tried to take the top
>> off. The front of the top has catches

Thank you Whit3rd.

> After the screwed-down end is loose, lift it slightly
> and the top can be pushed off the catches.

Somehow or other something inside prevented me
from moving
that cover. The front was easy but it has two
catches and I could
not move the cover forward enough to get out of
the slots. I could raise
the rear end slighly on the side where the lock is
but the other one would
not budge.

Fortunately, as you will note from my reply above,
I managed to get
the scanner working again.

> As others have noted, clicking sounds sometimes
> come from the lock being engaged, sometimes it's
> just a sticky rail or the motor isn't getting full
> power (check the power supply voltage).

I wasn't sure what was doing the clicking when I
first started the task
but, when I had all the screws back in place, and
the electric and USB
plugs inserted, it started very quickly and there
were no clicks.

> Be sure to clean the glass inner surface before you
> reassemble.

I didn't get that far but fortunately the inner
glass is extremely clean.
I guess it's a good air-tight case.

Thanks again and have a great weekend W3 :-)

From: Jeff Layman on
"JD" <JD(a)No-where.con> wrote in message
> Hi Experts :-)
>
> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until today. Now, when I
> press the start button, it click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>
> I removed the screws and tried to take the top off. The front of the top
> has catches that project into the base so it does not allow me to lift up
> the front. I removed the screws from the back and it will lift slightly
> but seems to be caught in something. I don't want to force it, so if
> someone has experience of this model I would appreciate advice on how to
> take it apart without wrecking it.

For future ref you might find the newsgroup comp.periphs.scanners to also be
of help. Some of the posts there refer to changing the lamp and cleaning
under the glass, so some successful dismantling must have taken place.

--

Jeff

From: Michael Karas on
In article <895fofFd2hU1(a)mid.individual.net>, JD(a)No-where.con says...

> Hi Experts :-)
>
> I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
> today. Now, when I press the start button, it
> click-clicks and the carriage does not move.
>
> I removed the screws and tried to take the top
> off. The front of the top has catches that project
> into the base so it does not allow me to lift up
> the front. I removed the screws from the back and
> it will lift slightly but seems to be caught in
> something. I don't want to force it, so if someone
> has experience of this model I would appreciate
> advice on how to take it apart without wrecking it.
>
> TIA

Be aware that once you open the scanner, presuming you can get past the
mechanical issues you are having, the pristine clean interior will never
be that way again. These things are assembled in a clean room so that
there is no dust inside the unit. (Dust = spots and defects in every
scan that you make). Working in a home or ordinary repair shop is no
substitute for the clean room and you will find it impossible to keep
the internal parts of the unit dust and lint free. Remember that the air
all around us is full of dust particles and it will get all over the
internal scanner parts despite all best efforts to "keep it clean".

--
- mkaras
From: William Sommerwerck on
> Be aware that once you open the scanner, presuming you can get past the
> mechanical issues you are having, the pristine clean interior will never
> be that way again. These things are assembled in a clean room so that
> there is no dust inside the unit. (Dust = spots and defects in every
> scan that you make). Working in a home or ordinary repair shop is no
> substitute for the clean room and you will find it impossible to keep
> the internal parts of the unit dust and lint free. Remember that the air
> all around us is full of dust particles and it will get all over the
> internal scanner parts despite all best efforts to "keep it clean".

You are perhaps overlooking the fact that the "internal" dust will be at
some distance from the focal plane.

From: Cydrome Leader on
In sci.electronics.repair William Sommerwerck <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> Be aware that once you open the scanner, presuming you can get past the
>> mechanical issues you are having, the pristine clean interior will never
>> be that way again. These things are assembled in a clean room so that
>> there is no dust inside the unit. (Dust = spots and defects in every
>> scan that you make). Working in a home or ordinary repair shop is no
>> substitute for the clean room and you will find it impossible to keep
>> the internal parts of the unit dust and lint free. Remember that the air
>> all around us is full of dust particles and it will get all over the
>> internal scanner parts despite all best efforts to "keep it clean".
>
> You are perhaps overlooking the fact that the "internal" dust will be at
> some distance from the focal plane.

not dust on the ccd
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3