From: tms3 on

> [root(a)vm-stusrv students]# getfacl /home/share/students/
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/share/students/
> # owner: root
> # group: domain\040users
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:students:rwx
> mask::rwx
> other::rwx
Gotta run, but looks ok. However, I do hate having root as an owner
of user files and such. It's an unusual problem. For shts and
giggles try:

chown -R <Windows-User(I like group supervisors)>:<Windows Group>
/home/share/students

> Mike
>

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM, <tms3(a)tms3.com> wrote:
>>

>>> [root(a)vm-stusrv students]# ls -latrh
>>> total 20K
>>> drwxrwxrwx+ 3 root domain users 4.0K 2010-06-28 14:58 ..
>>> drwxrwxrwx. 2 root students 4.0K 2010-06-30 09:11 test
>>> drwxrwxrwx+ 3 root domain users 4.0K 2010-06-30 09:11 .
>>
>> The + sign is an ACL.
>>
>> getfacl <directory>
>>
>> Let's see what that has to say.
>>

>>> I still cannot create files under the 'test' directory I created.
>>>
>>> Windows is reporting for the share that the owner and groups have
>>> 'Special'
>>> permissions. Drilling down into their 'special' permissions reveals
>>> that
>>> both 'domain users' and 'students' do have Create Folders/Write data
>>> checked
>>> under the 'Allow' column. (I'll attach the picture.)
>>>

>>> Mike

Heh, I made myself the owner, and still can't create a file.

[root(a)vm-stusrv test]# getfacl /home/share/students/
# file: home/share/students/
# owner: mlyon
# group: students
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:students:rwx
mask::rwx
other::rwx

Mike

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:31 AM, <tms3(a)tms3.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> write list = @"students"
>> �� inherit permissions = yes
>> inherit acls = yes
>>
>> The error log reports:
>> [2010/06/29 09:42:45, 2] smbd/open.c:2447(open_directory)
>> open_directory: unable to create New folder. Error was
>> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>> [2010/06/29 09:42:45, 2] smbd/open.c:2447(open_directory)
>> open_directory: unable to create New folder. Error was
>> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>> [2010/06/29 09:42:45, 2] smbd/open.c:2447(open_directory)
>> open_directory: unable to create New folder. Error was
>> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>> [2010/06/29 09:42:45, 2] smbd/open.c:2447(open_directory)
>> open_directory: unable to create New folder. Error was
>> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>> [2010/06/29 09:42:45, 2] smbd/open.c:2447(open_directory)
>> open_directory: unable to create New folder. Error was

I've simplified the share as you noted, and still have the same results. If
I create a file/folder on the linux side, I can read it without a problem.
Once I map as a Window$ client, I cannot write.

smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
realm = ds.domain.edu
server string = Samba Server Version %v
netbios name = vm-stusrv
security = ADS
password server = *
passdb backend = tdbsam
admin users = @"DOMAIN+Domain Admins"
log level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 5000
interfaces = eth0 lo
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=524288
SO_SNDBUF=524288
load printers = No
#printing =
printcap name = /etc/printcap
client use spnego = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind separator = +
winbind nested groups = Yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind nss info = rfc2307
allow trusted domains = yes
idmap uid = 10000-99999
idmap gid = 10000-99999
#idmap backend = ad
idmap domains = DOMAIN
idmap config DOMAIN:backend = ad
idmap config DOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config DOMAIN:range = 1000-75999
#template shell = /bin/bash
#template homedir = /home/share
#server signing = enabled
;dead time = 15
getwd cache = yes
nt acl support = yes
acl map full control = no
store dos attributes = yes
map acl inherit = yes
local master = yes
master browser = no
dns proxy = no
unix extensions = no
guest account = nobody

[student]
comment = Test share
path = /home/share/students
public = yes
writeable = yes
browseable = yes

Mike

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Michael Lyon <mjlyon(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've simplified the share as you noted, and still have the same results.  If
> I create a file/folder on the linux side, I can read it without a problem.
>  Once I map as a Window$ client, I cannot write.

You have 'public = yes' which is the synonym for 'guest ok = yes' ,
therefore anyone should be able to write. Let's make sure we have
proper guest capabilities by adding 'username map' parameter and its
associated file. For example:
In global:
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Contents of /etc/samba/smbusers:
root = administrator
nobody = guest

And as the guest account is nobody make sure that the nobody account is valid.

Restart Samba and if you still have trouble it looks to be a
permissions issue on the nix side.

Chris
I've added in: username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

[root(a)vm-stusrv ~]# more /etc/samba/smbusers
# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator
nobody = guest

Restarted smb.