From: DG problem on
HP-UX 11.11, 9.2.0.8, no ASM, 2TB database

Is it possible for RMAN to backup to two different directories while
using only one parallel channel, ie to use the following setting for
two different directories?

CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;

The reason I need to do this is because our database is bigger than
2Tb yet the HP-UX file system only allows mountpoints under 2TB to be
created. So, a backup of the database will not fit into one directory.
I can allocate two channels manually using two different directories,
but the directories are on the same physical disks and thus I was
wondering if one channel would be faster than two channels on the same
disks?
From: Sybrand Bakker on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:21:33 -0700 (PDT), DG problem
<skatefree(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>HP-UX 11.11, 9.2.0.8, no ASM, 2TB database
>
>Is it possible for RMAN to backup to two different directories while
>using only one parallel channel, ie to use the following setting for
>two different directories?

No

>CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;
>
>The reason I need to do this is because our database is bigger than
>2Tb yet the HP-UX file system only allows mountpoints under 2TB to be
>created. So, a backup of the database will not fit into one directory.
>I can allocate two channels manually using two different directories,
>but the directories are on the same physical disks and thus I was
>wondering if one channel would be faster than two channels on the same
>disks?

Two channels will create an IO bottleneck or you must replace backup
database by backup tablespace .. channel <whatever> , making your
script error prone.
I would investigate using a tape robot, if I were you.

-------
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA