From: mwfitch on
Due to the latency, can SBS03 be used reliably to send and retrieve
email? Customer has no other internet resources available. Thanks in
advance for any ideas.
Mark

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on
mwfitch(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Due to the latency, can SBS03 be used reliably to send and retrieve
> email? Customer has no other internet resources available. Thanks in
> advance for any ideas.
> Mark

I've heard nothing but bad things about it....sounds very painful.

From: kj on
Email (SMTP) should be alright, but most other typical SBS things (RWW, VPN,
OWA, HTTP/RPC ) are going to be ... "very unsatisfying".

--
/kj

From: Mike Webb on
I've used a satellite ISP for over a year. Email (SMTP) works fine, o
latency noted unless you're sending/receiving large files. Everything else
(RWW, OWA, etc.) is a big problem. Our download is over 1 MB/s but upload
is only about 120 KB/s. Perhaps a 'higher-end' satellite ISP would be
better. We're with Wildblue, but I'm thinking of going with HughesNet -
better bandwidth. Problem is the price (we're a non-profit.)

Mike

From: "Jacky Luo [MSFT]" on
Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I understand that you want to send and receive email by
satellite ISP. If I
have misunderstood, just post back to let me know.

According to your description, this issue seems related to the network
provided by satellite. Please understand that there is little we do from
Exchange server side or client side for the network problem. You may have
to contact the ISP to improve the quality of Satellite network if it is
true.

More information about bandwidth for Exchange client, see the following
article:
Client Network Traffic with Exchange2000
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/cntwex2k.
mspx

As for the bandwidth, the POP3/IMAP clients need the least bandwidth among
all the access methods, MAPI, OWA, POP3/IMAP4. Actually, the OWA demands
the largest bandwidth.so OWA is a problem.

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Jacky Luo (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to
assist with break/fix issues and simple how to questions.
We also love to hear your product feedback! Let us know what you think by
posting

from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.

We look forward to hearing from you!