From: TomYoung on
I've been communicating with Quicken Customer Care (my communications
are written English, their replies are in Corporate Boilerplate) about
this issue and they've decided I need to do the Quicken uninstall/
reinstall bit. Before I go through that I would like to ask if
someone with Quicken Deluxe 2007 installed could make 3 entries in a
test database and run a couple of reports to see if they duplicate my
issue. (I asked Quicken Customer Care - an oxymoron if there ever was
one - to do this but Corporate Boilerplate is unable to reply.)

So, in an Investing:Investment account (e.g., brokerage account) I
made the following entries:

Enter transaction: Other Cash Transaction
Transaction type: Payment
Payee: Test Doctor
Date: 2/28/2010
Category: Medical:Doctor
Amount: $100.00

Enter transaction: Other Cash Transaction
Transaction type: Payment
Payee: Test Pharmacy
Date: 2/28/2010
Category: Medical:Medicine
Amount: $50.00

Enter transaction: Other Cash Transaction
Transaction type: Payment
Payee: Test Split
Date: 2/28/2010
Category: (Split)
Medical:Medicine
Amount: $40.00
Misc
Amount: $360.00

If I do a "Reports" > "Spending" > "Income and Expense by Category"
with "Advanced" > "Subcategories" > "Show all" on these 3 transactions
I get a report like this:

Medical
Doctor 100.00
Medicine 90.00
TOTAL Medical 190.00
Misc 360.00
TOTAL EXPENSES 550.00

(If the above doesn't line up very well you can see it here:
http://home.comcast.net/~tomyoung1/Show%20All%20Subs.JPG)
This report is correct.

However, if I do the same report with "Advanced" > "Subcategories" >
"Hide all" this is what I get:

Medical 150.00
Medicine 40.00
TOTAL Medical 190.00
Misc 360.00
TOTAL EXPENSES 550.00

(You can also see it here: http://home.comcast.net/~tomyoung1/Hide%20All%20Subs.JPG)
That subcategory "Medicine" shouldn't be there and, while the total of
Medical is correct the Medicine line is incorrect. It seems like that
split transaction is somehow confusing Quicken.

TIA.

Tom Young