From: Han on
> > > You can, for example, use
>
> > > PUSH [then do anything] POP
>
> > Thank you for this fix. Is there any reason why this IS NOT the
> > default behavior?
>
> Yes! If it were the default, there would be no way for a program to
> modify the system or user flags for use by other programs.
>
> I, for one, would find that "cure" much worse than the disease.

What I meant was, why doesn't the default ENTER function not have this
already built-in? Or at least have a flag that effectively enables
this PUSH/POP effect?
From: Han on
On Mar 17, 12:27 am, Han <handuongs...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thank you for this fix. Is there any reason why this IS NOT the
> > > default behavior?
>
> > Yes! If it were the default, there would be no way for a program to
> > modify the system or user flags for use by other programs.
>
> > I, for one, would find that "cure" much worse than the disease.
>
> What I meant was, why doesn't the default ENTER function not have this
> already built-in? Or at least have a flag that effectively enables
> this PUSH/POP effect?

Actually, changing ENTER doesn't help. Commands accessed from the
keyboard would not be effected. A better approach would be to have
each CAS command should respect the flags before it is run. This would
not effect user programs that alter the system flags, since only the
CAS commands are contained within the PUSH/POP environment.
From: John H Meyers on
On 3/17/2010 12:14 AM, Han wrote:

>> Kinpo: Hardware (incl tester and flash updater) and emulator, in separate bank of ROM.

> If this is really the case, that's just sad...

They design and produce electronics of all sorts,
including cheaper calculators, even for HP's rival Texas Instruments,
now that the only products made in USA are burgers, fries, Coke,
entertainment featuring continual explosions,
and gigantic financial structures made of material lighter than air :)

http://wrightreports.ecnext.com/coms2/reportdesc_COMPANY_C76072400

http://www.rskey.org/~mwsebastian/selftest/kinpo_test.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_calculators (search for Kinpo)

http://www.hpmuseum.org/therest.htm (search for Kinpo)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/07/kinpo-shows-off-7-inch-android-thin-client-tablet/

http://www.kinpo.com.tw/English/ "Last Update:2007/10/2"

At one time, we may recall,
U.S. manufacturing had already moved entirely to Japan,
but now "The Simpsons" is the only thing still made there :)

> Is there any reason why [PUSH...POP] IS NOT the default [CAS] behavior?

Not ideal for some commands which are supposed to set flags? (e.g. XQ)

It is a tall order to squeeze a lot of CAS into the little room available,
under the constraints of the internal OS, and all by one independent contractor
who gave much more support than HP may even have paid for, some say.

"You get what you pay for" (or HP paid for, in this case)

However, consider all that we have come to know about how
having machines do all our work has made us less physically healthy;
will it turn out, then, that CAS "answer machines"
also turn students' brains to mush, and that the HP49/50 series
is the only hope for developing future engineers and scientists,
since you still have to think a little?

I shouldn't talk, however, since I don't even use it :)

A parting thought:

"As you travel on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the donut,
and not upon the hole."

[r->] [Off]
From: Bart on
On Mar 17, 2:48 am, Han <handuongs...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Getting back to the CAS, I find it odd that there is nothing in ROM
> that essentially saves a user's settings, does calculations with
> whatever necessary flags set/unset, and then restores the user's
> settings. For example, when I evaluate a limit, flag -115 is cleared.
> There is nothing that indicates this until I later use the square root
> operation. Then there's the auto-prompting for complex mode; some
> operations require it be turned off, and others require it be turned
> on. Otherwise I get an error... I often think: why not just "do what
> you have to do" and return the original state (flagwise)?

When I reached a point where I was happy with my chosen flag settings,
I used RCLF to get the hex stings of all the falg settings, and stored
it to a variable. Now I can recall this and use STOF to set the flags
back to my own preferences whenever I need. I can even store different
settings, and easily swap between them.

-B

From: Veli-Pekka.Nousiainen on
Han wrote:

>>> Yes! If it were the default, there would be no way for a program to
>>> modify the system or user flags for use by other programs.
>>
>>> I, for one, would find that "cure" much worse than the disease.
>>
>> What I meant was, why doesn't the default ENTER function not have this
>> already built-in? Or at least have a flag that effectively enables
>> this PUSH/POP effect?
>

> Actually, changing ENTER doesn't help. Commands accessed from the
> keyboard would not be effected. A better approach would be to have
> each CAS command should respect the flags before it is run. This would
> not effect user programs that alter the system flags, since only the
> CAS commands are contained within the PUSH/POP environment.

If you use googkle groups and google for that CAS problem you will
finally find thgat that behaviuor has been asked for decade ago.
It seems that you really have to set up the User Mode flag and the
Vectored ENTER Flag and then use the AlphaENTER and BetaENTER variable
to store brograms that do PUSH and POP and maybe check for XQ plus
simiklar cases for special treatment if you think uit's absolutely needed.
Naturally in your programs you should remember to do PUSH & POP and set
the "Silent Mode Change" flag. Yeah! A kiot of extra work, but it is
also up to HP not to pay for Bernard Parisse to do somne aditional
maintainance work for the CAS. I think that mayb
e also Jean-Yves Avenard shoukld be hired fior a moment.
What I'm now waiting for is that HPGCC 3.0 compoatible RON 3.0 is released.
Yes! That is thge ROMN version I would expect
Why? You mnay ask and Cyrilkle de Brebisson as weklkl.
It's a really big change - to accommodate the HPGCC 3.0 into the ROM
that the ROM version number should reflect this acordingly.
IMHO
VPN