From: asparnique on
Hi,

I've just received my second hand 82240B printer to use with the HP-50G. The
printer passes the seld-test however I have not managed to print from the
calculator yet. Is there a self-test or way to test IRDA comms between the
two, or just a quick way to test-print from the claculator to this printer
?? I basically just wanna check if all is OK. This is not really mentioned
anywere in the manuals as far as I can see...

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
MM

From: Dave on
On Mar 17, 1:44 pm, "asparnique" <asparni...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just received my second hand 82240B printer to use with the HP-50G. The
> printer passes the seld-test however I have not managed to print from the
> calculator yet. Is there a self-test or way to test IRDA comms between the
> two, or just a quick way to test-print from the claculator to this printer
> ?? I basically just wanna check if all is OK. This is not really mentioned
> anywere in the manuals as far as I can see...
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
> MM

You can use On+Up to dump the screen to the printer, or the PR1
command to print level 1 of the stack. However, there's a bug
regarding the DELAY setting on the 50g that you should be aware of.
Here's an older thread with some info:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_thread/thread/6bed6b9bb0e87622/aaee3a139e5e512a?lnk=gst&q=82240a#aaee3a139e5e512a

Make sure you've set the appropriate flags for "Print Via IR". Also,
the 50g IR transmitter is VERY weak compared to the 48, so you have to
have it within about 2cm of the receiver on the printer. You should be
able to get the two working together, though.

-Dave Britten
From: asparnique on

"Dave" <davidbrit2(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 17, 1:44 pm, "asparnique" <asparni...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just received my second hand 82240B printer to use with the HP-50G.
> The
> printer passes the seld-test however I have not managed to print from the
> calculator yet. Is there a self-test or way to test IRDA comms between the
> two, or just a quick way to test-print from the claculator to this printer
> ?? I basically just wanna check if all is OK. This is not really mentioned
> anywere in the manuals as far as I can see...
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards,
> MM

You can use On+Up to dump the screen to the printer, or the PR1
command to print level 1 of the stack. However, there's a bug
regarding the DELAY setting on the 50g that you should be aware of.
Here's an older thread with some info:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/browse_thread/thread/6bed6b9bb0e87622/aaee3a139e5e512a?lnk=gst&q=82240a#aaee3a139e5e512a

Make sure you've set the appropriate flags for "Print Via IR". Also,
the 50g IR transmitter is VERY weak compared to the 48, so you have to
have it within about 2cm of the receiver on the printer. You should be
able to get the two working together, though.

-Dave Britten

Hi Dave,

Yes thanks I've got it working, and as you suggested, the proximity is
terrible given tha IRDA is usually more flexible and useable from around
15 - 20 cm. Is there a hack or something to boost the power on the
transmitting LED ? Has anybody heard of or tried this ?

Regarding the DELAY bug, I've noticed slow printing of graphics and display,
like one line every 7 or 8 seconds when I change delay to 0, but nothing
else other than that. This is a little annoying to have to wait for about a
minute just for a small graph. Surprised HP hasn't gotten around this yet ??
Is this what you were refering to ? Will HP fix it in another version of ROM
perhaps ?

Cheers, M