From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
Leonardo Burchi wrote:
> I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512 MB in
> RAM usage for my account.
> Could you help me to see if this is true?

Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.
Example:

tingo(a)kg-work2$ limits
Resource limits (current):
cputime infinity secs
filesize infinity kB
datasize 524288 kB
stacksize 65536 kB
coredumpsize infinity kB
memoryuse infinity kB
memorylocked infinity kB
maxprocesses 5547
openfiles 11095
sbsize infinity bytes
vmemoryuse infinity kB

HTH
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Leonardo Burchi on
Thank you for your reply!
This is my limits output:

Resource limits (current):
cputime infinity secs
filesize infinity kB
datasize 524288 kB
stacksize 65536 kB
coredumpsize infinity kB
memoryuse infinity kB
memorylocked infinity kB
maxprocesses 5547
openfiles 11095
sbsize infinity bytes
vmemoryuse infinity kB

I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

Thank you again!!

From: Giorgos Keramidas on
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:55:19 +0200, Leonardo Burchi <bjl(a)freemail.it> wrote:
> Torfinn Ingolfsen ha scritto:
>> Leonardo Burchi wrote:
>>> I posted in 7zip forum, and they says there is a limitation of 512MB
>>> in RAM usage for my account.
>>>
>>> Could you help me to see if this is true?
>>
>> Try 'limits' to see whar toy limits are. 'man limits' for more info.
>
> This is my limits output:
>
> Resource limits (current):
> cputime infinity secs
> filesize infinity kB
> datasize 524288 kB
> stacksize 65536 kB
> coredumpsize infinity kB
> memoryuse infinity kB
> memorylocked infinity kB
> maxprocesses 5547
> openfiles 11095
> sbsize infinity bytes
> vmemoryuse infinity kB
>
> I think there is no limit in RAM usage for my account. Right?

There is an implied limit to the `data' segment of each process that is
indeed set to 512MB for 32-bit programs:

$ sysctl kern.maxdsiz
kern.maxdsiz: 536870912
$ sysctl -d kern.maxdsiz
kern.maxdsiz: max data size

This is a `loader tunable', so you can set it at boot time but it is not
possible to increase once the kernel has started. See loader.conf(5)
for details about setting loader tunables.

Having written that, I would be _very_ worried if a compression utility
started taking more than 512MB of virtual memory. This is an absurd
amount of memory for a utility that wants to compress a few thousands of
files. The compression ratio may be better in the long run, but there
are other compression tools (like gzip(1) or bzip(2) that do not require
such huge amounts of memory to work).

From: Leonardo Burchi on
Thank you Giorgos and thank you Torfinn.
I have update my kern.maxdsiz on /boot/loader.conf to 1 GB and now all
works fine!
I'm perfectly agree with you Giorgos, it needs a very lot of RAM. I
think I will try gzip or bzip.

Thank you again!!