From: ZenMasta on
I tried assigning an IP to a website and when I did the website stopped.
When I tried to restart it I got the message:
The network location could not be reached...

I have verified by checking each website properties and advanced button and
there is no other website on my server with that IP.

Why can't I assign this IP to my other site?

From: .._.. on
"other" site? You can't assign the same IP to more than one site at a time.

Either you share an IP with ALL of the sites on that IP using host headers,
or you assign IPs and just do the rest in DNS.

From: ZenMasta on
I'm assuming you meant CAN not can't. Yes know you can use the same IP's on
many sites.
But this site needs SSL so you have to have a unique IP for SSL. Regardless,
this does not help my situation.

From: .._.. on
No. I mean Can't.

You can assign more than one host header to an IP. But if you are sticking
an IP address in a second web site without using a host-header binding, one
of the sites will stop when you hit the "OK" button.

For SSL; one site, one IP, one certificate. You can NOT do anything else.
If you want more than one SSL site on the box, you need more than one IP.
One IP per certificate bearing web site, period.

You situation is you need more IP addresses.

From: ZenMasta on
Yeah I understand that. But you're missing the point because I never said I
was trying to do that in the first place .I never setup a site w/o a host
header.
But lets skip ahead because I am TRYING to use brand new IPs on a brand new
site and when I say IP's I just mean that I was assigned 4 new IP's and I
have tried this with all 4 IP's with the same result.
I am certain the IP's are configured correctly because I can ping as well as
RDP into the server using those IP's

Let me describe my setup.
I have currently 7 websites setup with only 2 ip addresses. Each website has
a unique host header
2 of the sites use SSL. Everything works fantastic. No complaints.

I am 100% sure that no other site is using the new IP becasuse
1) I just configured the IP's 2 days ago and the other sites were all setup
previously months/years ago.
2) I had not made any changes to any existing sites (I don't use control
panels, I make all my changes over remote desktop)
3) prior to creating the new site httpcfg query iplisten only displays the
two original IP's

You know as well as I do it is not rocket science to setup a site in IIS.
And I'm not configuring anything special.
New site, OLD IP, new hostname site works perfectly.
Edit site, change ip, same host name, site will not start.
Even if I delete the site and start from scratch with only the new IP (and
not even talking about SSL yet, 1 step at a time) I still get this problem.
The network location cannot be reached. For information about network
troubleshooting, see Windows help.

The closest thing I could find to my situation is this forum post but I
don't really think its the same situation. But I tried the solution with no
success anyway.
http://forums.iis.net/t/1085133.aspx which references this MS KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892847/

When I query httpcfg the new IP was not listed so I
httpcfg set -i myip but I get the same error.