From: David McGlone on
On Wednesday 05 May 2010 16:19:35 Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:03:41PM -0400, David McGlone wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > WOW!!!! I have spent at least 4 hours reading and re-reading it and it
> > took you 3 seconds.
> >
> > That was the problem. How, how, how could I have overlooked that so many
> > times????
> >
> > Thank you Ashley, I should have asked you 3 hours ago. ;-)
>
> Yeah, David, the rest of us are really disappointed in you. I mean, it's
> not like that's ever happened to *us*. ;-}

I've been studying PHP for at least 2 years straight now, after dabbling in it
for about a year 6 years ago. So even though I've had my nose to the grind for
a good 2 years now, I don't think I can call my mistake a "rookie mistake".
Thats what's frustrating to me. LOL

--
Blessings,
David M.
From: Jason Pruim on

On May 5, 2010, at 9:02 PM, David McGlone wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 May 2010 13:12:58 Dan Joseph wrote:
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM, David McGlone <david(a)dmcentral.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Tell me about it. I kept telling myself for the last 4 hours "I
>>> can find
>>> it, I
>>> can find it I don't need to ask the list" Huh! I was wrong!
>>
>> LOL sometimes a second set of eyes is required. We've all been in
>> your
>> shoes!
>>

> True. I need to learn to ask for help, but I don't want to fall into
> the habit
> of taking it for granted. I'm still learning so I need to try my
> hardest
> before I go getting an answer.

Hey David,

As a budding PHP developer (Been doing it off and on for the past 4
years now.. Mostly off though...) I got some great advice early on
from tedd sperling... When I have a problem that I can't fix... I sit
down and write the e-mail to the list... Thinking through all the info
that might be helpful to help debug it... What I've tried, what I"m
expecting... Things of that nature...

Usually by the time I'm done writing the e-mail I'e figured out the
problem... Not always but once I get done with writing it, if I still
can't figure it out I don't feel so bad hitting send and lighting up
everyones inboxes with my mindless drivel :P

From: David McGlone on
On Thursday 06 May 2010 20:49:47 Jason Pruim wrote:
> On May 5, 2010, at 9:02 PM, David McGlone wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 May 2010 13:12:58 Dan Joseph wrote:

> >> LOL sometimes a second set of eyes is required. We've all been in
> >> your
> >> shoes!
> >
> > True. I need to learn to ask for help, but I don't want to fall into
> > the habit
> > of taking it for granted. I'm still learning so I need to try my
> > hardest
> > before I go getting an answer.
>
> Hey David,
>
> As a budding PHP developer (Been doing it off and on for the past 4
> years now.. Mostly off though...) I got some great advice early on
> from tedd sperling... When I have a problem that I can't fix... I sit
> down and write the e-mail to the list... Thinking through all the info
> that might be helpful to help debug it... What I've tried, what I"m
> expecting... Things of that nature...
>
> Usually by the time I'm done writing the e-mail I'e figured out the
> problem... Not always but once I get done with writing it, if I still
> can't figure it out I don't feel so bad hitting send and lighting up
> everyones inboxes with my mindless drivel :P

That makes sense. If I carefully think about what Tedd said, I see it this
way: when writing the E-Mail it will take us mentally through the steps as we
are typing them and it will probably get us to realize where it went wrong.

I got sortof a joke I thought about a little while ago, it goes something like
this:

"This list works like a team, and there is no "i" in team."

I'm pretty sure the ones who helped me figure this one out will find the humor
in that one. :-)

--
Blessings,
David M.
From: Robert Cummings on

David McGlone wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2010 20:49:47 Jason Pruim wrote:

>>> True. I need to learn to ask for help, but I don't want to fall into
>>> the habit
>>> of taking it for granted. I'm still learning so I need to try my
>>> hardest
>>> before I go getting an answer.
>> Hey David,
>>
>> As a budding PHP developer (Been doing it off and on for the past 4
>> years now.. Mostly off though...) I got some great advice early on
>> from tedd sperling... When I have a problem that I can't fix... I sit
>> down and write the e-mail to the list... Thinking through all the info
>> that might be helpful to help debug it... What I've tried, what I"m
>> expecting... Things of that nature...
>>
>> Usually by the time I'm done writing the e-mail I'e figured out the
>> problem... Not always but once I get done with writing it, if I still
>> can't figure it out I don't feel so bad hitting send and lighting up
>> everyones inboxes with my mindless drivel :P
>>

> That makes sense. If I carefully think about what Tedd said, I see it this
> way: when writing the E-Mail it will take us mentally through the steps as we
> are typing them and it will probably get us to realize where it went wrong.
>
> I got sortof a joke I thought about a little while ago, it goes something like
> this:
>
> "This list works like a team, and there is no "i" in team."
>
> I'm pretty sure the ones who helped me figure this one out will find the humor
> in that one. :-)

Maybe no 'i' but there's "me", "met", "meat", "eat", "at", and "am" :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Jim Lucas on
Robert Cummings wrote:

> David McGlone wrote:

>>> Hey David,
>>>
>>> As a budding PHP developer (Been doing it off and on for the past 4
>>> years now.. Mostly off though...) I got some great advice early on
>>> from tedd sperling... When I have a problem that I can't fix... I sit
>>> down and write the e-mail to the list... Thinking through all the info
>>> that might be helpful to help debug it... What I've tried, what I"m
>>> expecting... Things of that nature...
>>>
>>> Usually by the time I'm done writing the e-mail I'e figured out the
>>> problem... Not always but once I get done with writing it, if I still
>>> can't figure it out I don't feel so bad hitting send and lighting up
>>> everyones inboxes with my mindless drivel :P
>>>

>> That makes sense. If I carefully think about what Tedd said, I see it
>> this way: when writing the E-Mail it will take us mentally through the
>> steps as we are typing them and it will probably get us to realize
>> where it went wrong.
>>
>> I got sortof a joke I thought about a little while ago, it goes
>> something like this:
>>
>> "This list works like a team, and there is no "i" in team."
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the ones who helped me figure this one out will find
>> the humor in that one. :-)
>
> Maybe no 'i' but there's "me", "met", "meat", "eat", "at", and "am" :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

+ mate ate tea

--
Jim Lucas

A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: strtotime woes
Next: Inconsistent json_decode() results