From: Lucas Partridge on
Hi,

I've got a new Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200 GB SATA hard drive, model
6B200MO, and I want to use it as an additional drive in my PC. I don't
want to make it my bootable drive. I already have Windows XP Home newly
installed on a separate Western Digital IDE drive.

My motherboard is quite old: Micro-Star International MS-6330 K7TPro2
with a VIA KT133 chipset. I'm using AWARD BIOS W6330VMS v3.6 100702 (the
latest version I could download from MSI's website). Because the
motherboard is old I had to get a PCI controller card to recognise the
Maxtor drive. I got a Silicon Image SIL-3112 SATA card and am using the
Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller driver v1.0.0.51 (downloaded from Windows
Update).

The Western Digital drive is jumpered as the master drive and is
connected to the primary IDE controller on the motherboard (using the
terminal black connector on the IDE cable). The Maxtor drive is
connected to the SATA controller card.

I downloaded Maxtor's setup software MaxBlast 4.0 for Windows and used
that to partition and format the new drive. I had to do this before
Windows would list the drive in Windows Explorer. When I click on the
drive in Explorer I'm told it's not formatted but when I do choose to
format it there and then I get the following error:

"Windows was unable to complete the format."

This happens whether I use the quick or the full format. Disk Management
shows the drive to be healthy but I can't format it there either: "The
format did not complete successfully."

I tried jumpering the Western Digital drive as Master with Slave but the
BIOS reported "Primary master hard disk fail" so I removed the jumper as
it was before.

Maxtor's diagnostic utility PowerMax v4.21 reports no problems with the
Maxtor drive: I've done a low level format writing zeroes to the disk
several times but that doesn't cure the problem.

Originally I had tried installing XP directly on the Maxtor drive but XP
setup also failed with "Setup was unable to format the partition. The
disk may be damaged... blah, blah." I did press F6 during setup to load
the Sil 3112 Raid driver.

Interestingly Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) doesn't
include model 6B200MO among its list of compatible hardware
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subID=22&xslt=search&qu=diamondmax+10&scope=1&btnSearch=Go).

Please can someone help here? Many thanks.
From: Andrew E. on
Try this,unplug C: drive,unplug the IDE cable,leaving SATA and youre cdrom.
Boot to BIOS,set to boot to cdrom,in cd boot,press F6 load drivers,then at
info
page,select repair,you shouldnt be prompted for password,its enter key if
you are,
then type:DiskPart In DiskPart,create a partition,then press Esc key,then
type:
FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When its thru,type:EXIT Shutoff computer,reatach IDE
drives,start-up computer.The SATA drive is now ready for use...

From: Andrew E. on
Also,silicon image controller 3112 is compatable with XP,intel,Abit,plus
dozen others have used it,its a good controller,however silicon image has
retired it and updates for it,the last was around aug.04

From: Bob Harris on
Originally XP had a limitation of about 127Gig for a hard drive, not one
partition, but the whole drive.

A fix was added in SP-1, but it is not on by default. See the following
article on enabling 48-bit LBA:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

From: Lucas Partridge on
Thanks for the advice, Bob. I checked out the Microsoft article you
mentioned but it said that registry entry (EnableBigLba) is ignored in
Windows XP SP 1 or later, and I have SP 2.

I had found mention of this registry setting before in Maxtor's ATA
Installation Guide (see below).

When I get a chance I'm going to try out Andrew E.'s suggested solution
and report the results back to this newsgroup.

Thanks again,
Lucas.

-----------------------------

The Windows operating systems that natively support the full capacity
of drives larger than 137 GB are:
ý Windows XP Home, Service Pack 1 (SP1) and higher
ý Windows XP Professional, SP1 and higher
ý Windows 2000 Professional, SP3 and higher
ý Windows 2000 Server, SP3 and higher
You must install the latest Microsoft Service Pack, then install and run
the Windows version of MaxBlast to enable complete support for large
drives. To download the latest Service Pack for Windows XP or 2000,
visit http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
Once you have installed the latest Service pack, install MaxBlast for
Windows from the MaxBlast CD. Run the MaxBlast for Windows
application (Start menu: Programs: Maxtor MaxBlast: MaxBlast) and
select the Set Up Your Hard Disk option. MaxBlast will check for the
existence of a compatible Service Pack and install the EnableBigLBA
(Logical Block Addressing) patch into the Windows Registry. Windows
should now be able to properly support partitions larger than 137 GB
that have been created in MaxBlast.
Installing the latest Service Pack without subsequently running
the Set Up Your Hard Disk Option in the MaxBlast application will
not fully enable large drive support and may lead to data loss.