From: SKS on
I keep getting these errors (warnings) in event viewer consistently:

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent
TCP connect attempts."

"The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the
following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. "

"The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\ultra1 has old or
out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."

The last one above is strange - my Ultra133 PCI adapter card does have the
latest available firmware and drivers installed!

Does not affect performance in the slightest. But I'd really be happy to
know what it all means! Due to an unrelated issue I now check Event Viewer
regularly - it was then that I noticed these error messages!

TIA

SKS

From: V Green on

"SKS" <info2knospam(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting these errors (warnings) in event viewer consistently:
>
> "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent
> TCP connect attempts."
>
> "The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the
> following error:
> The system cannot find the file specified. "
>
> "The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\ultra1 has old or
> out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."

Don't know about the first two, but you can safely ignore the last one.
EV is a whiny old POS, its basis for determining what it doesn't like
is flawed. How could it POSSIBLY know what it claims to know if
it doesn't gather current driver info from ALL the hardware manfacturers
in the world (which it doesn't do) to compare against? It cried about
my U2W adapter for the many years I had it, even though all the
benchmarks I ran showed throughput to be just where it was supposed
to be and everything worked OK.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

From: Wesley Vogel on
Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

Event Viewer overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

To view Windows XP Events and Errors, type the Source (for example, Print)
and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then click the Go
button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event Viewer logs.

Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23PuUYP6YFHA.2420(a)TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
SKS <info2knospam(a)yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:

From: SKS on
Thanks very much for the advice. I did as instructed and here is the full
info on the three errors mentioned in my OP.

1.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4226
Date: 5/28/2005
Time: 09:17:11
User: N/A
Computer: ALPHA
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent
TCP connect attempts.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....?..?
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

2,
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 5/28/2005
Time: 08:48:56
User: N/A
Computer: ALPHA
The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the
following error:

3.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ultra
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 5/28/2005
Time: 05:44:32
User: N/A
Computer: ALPHA
The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\ultra1 has old or
out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Data:
0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 64 00 ......d.
0008: 00 00 00 00 1a 00 04 80 .......?
0010: 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 2c 1a 00 00 00 00 00 00 ,.......
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........

I clicked on the provided links above for additional information about these
errors. I all three cases this is what I received back from Microsoft:

"Details
We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error
and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use
the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional
information might be available elsewhere.
Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us
identify those areas for which we need to provide more information."

I also entered the Event Source and IDs in the MS site through the "Windows
XP Home/Professional Events and Errors" link you provided (thanks) and it
did come up with additional information.

I did the netstat -no command at the command prompt and checked out the
list. There are no incomplete connections!

It did not have any information to provide on the second error.

For the third error it informed me that IO_WRN_BAD_FIRMWARE was the symbolic
name for the result. I checked with Promise, the maker of the Ultra133TX2
PCI-UATA adapter and verified I did have the latest firmware and drivers
installed.

Is there something I could do in networking settings that will take care of
the NDIS driver issue (second error)?

Thanks very much - I really appreciate it.

SKS

From: Rock on
SKS wrote:

<snip>

> 2,
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7000
> Date: 5/28/2005
> Time: 08:48:56
> User: N/A
> Computer: ALPHA
> The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the
> following error:

<snip>

See if there is something here to help you on the second error:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7000&eventno=108&source=Service%20Control%20Manager&phase=1

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User