From: KenH on
I can't get OpenOffice3 to run on FreeBSD7. Downloaded binaries.
Install script runs OK. When I try to execute <openoffice.org-3.0.0>,
I get a message (not an exact quote):

"can't display graphics .. error 0x63"

or something like that. It core dumps. Sorry, I'm not at that PC right
now.

My X seems to run OK. My /usr/var/X.log shows some odd problems,
related to modules w/in:

xf86-video-fbdev-0.3.1_2

Errors such as "can't load module fbdevhw .."

At this point, I don't know whether my problem is OO or X.

Thx, and have a great '09!
From: KenH on
Actually, that X log file is: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and the X log error msgs are:

(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdevhw
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)

and the OO message is now:

libGL error: open DRM failed (Operation not permitted)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
The application cannot be started.
The component manager is not available.
.. core ..

I think the different OO message (from prev) is due to working from
a 'user' account this time instead of 'root'.

Regards,

- Ken H.
From: KenH on
As 'root', the OO3 error msg is (like before):

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x63
The application cannot be started.
The component manger is not available.
... core ..
From: Jason Bourne on
KenH wrote:

> As 'root', the OO3 error msg is (like before):
>
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x63
> The application cannot be started.
> The component manger is not available.
> .. core ..

If you are using an NVidia video card on a i386 (32 bit) you
might want to investigate installing the nvidia drivers. Since
they have split the port into new -vs- legacy support you'll
need to figure out which best supports the hardware.

As far as what would be required for an ATI card I wouldn't
know as I've never used one with FreeBSD. But the above described
installation of the nvidia drivers installs it's own openGL libs.

You also may need to play with your xorg.conf to get things right.
Off the top of my head would include potentially:

Section "Module"
Load "glx"

--------------------------

Section "DRI"
Group "video"
Mode 0660
EndSection

--------------------------
and maybe as an afterthought:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Keep in mind to always have a functional xorg.conf on hand
as a backup to revert back to should you find yourself editing
this file manually.

Also there may be some CLI switch to start OO.org with openGL
turned off, but I'm not familiar if one exists, or not. Google
might be your friend here. :-)

-Jason