From: tshad on
I am using the Sql Server 2005 Analysis Services book and am doing the first
cube.

I can see plenty of data in the tables (such as dimProduct).

But when I put the Measures, Date and Product from the left pane to the
Browser window, nothing is displayed as the book says it should.

Do I need to do something to tell it to display the data?

Thanks,

Tom

From: tshad on
I have no idea why this didn't work but the book is incorrect in a couple of
areas (such as where is says to export when you are in affect going to
import so that the default they say will be there are not there).

This author assumes you will follow the instructions exactly (which I
believe I did) and does not assume that maybe the results may not be
correct - which they weren't.

One of the things I do when I create instructions is have a section that
says something like:

If you don't see any data in your browser, you probably missed x or didn't
do y.

I spent $40 dollars for this book and now I don't know what the problem is
because I have no one to ask.

I did find a tutorial on the net that I followed and got the results right
away, which is what the book said would happen, by doing essentially what
the book did. The difference is that the book builds your cube first then
attaches the database, whereas the tutorial attaches the AdventureWorksDW
database first, which has all the facts and dimensions defined.

I don't expect the author of the the tutorial to put the exceptions in his
piece (it was free, after all) but I would expect the author of a book that
he expects to get paid for to have it. My problem is that now I don't know
what I did wrong or how to fix it and the rest of the book will probably be
based on building the cubes the same way.