From: Peter James on
I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.

My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
my Belkin wired router.

I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:

http://mapwow.com/

http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main

Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
these sites within the OS?
I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
disallow these sites.

I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
Where would I find these?

Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
From: John Hill on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>
> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> my Belkin wired router.
>
> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>
> http://mapwow.com/
>
> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>
> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> these sites within the OS?
> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> disallow these sites.
>
> I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
> would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
> I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
> Where would I find these?
>
> Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.

I can open both these sites with both Safari 5.0.1 and Firefox 3.6.8.
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.4.
Siemens SE572 modem/router (badged Orange).

John.

--
Please reply to john at yclept dot wanadoo dot co dot uk.
From: Graham J on

"Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>
> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> my Belkin wired router.
>
> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>
> http://mapwow.com/
>
> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>
> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> these sites within the OS?
> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> disallow these sites.
>
> I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
> would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
> I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
> Where would I find these?
>
> Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.

What happens why you try a different computer connected to the same router,
or the same computer connected to a different router, or even a different
router and a different computer connected to the same phone line & ISP?

--
Graham J

From: Jim on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>
> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> my Belkin wired router.
>
> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>
> http://mapwow.com/
>
> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main

When you say "can't open" what actually hapens when you try?

> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> these sites within the OS?
> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> disallow these sites.
>
> I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
> would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
> I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
> Where would I find these?

You can find the IP address by opening Terminal.app and typing "host"
followed by the web address (or, rather, the bit after the 'http://' and
upto the '.com'

Example:

host mapwow.com
host www.wowwiki.com

The first one gives:

mapwow.com has address 67.207.148.157
mapwow.com mail is handled by 0 mx1.sub3.homie.mail.dreamhost.com.
mapwow.com mail is handled by 0 mx2.sub3.homie.mail.dreamhost.com.

and the second one gives:

www.wowwiki.com is an alias for wowwiki.com.
wowwiki.com has address 208.174.57.186

You can ignore the lines that say other stuff.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Peter James on
"Graham J" <graham(a)invalid> wrote:

> "Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> > along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
> >
> > My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> > my Belkin wired router.
> >
> > I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
> >
> > http://mapwow.com/
> >
> > http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
> >
> > Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> > these sites within the OS?
> > I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> > disallow these sites.
> >
> > I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
> > would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
> > I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
> > Where would I find these?
> >
> > Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.
>
> What happens why you try a different computer connected to the same router,
> or the same computer connected to a different router, or even a different
> router and a different computer connected to the same phone line & ISP?
I can't do that as I don't have the resources to do it. The strange
thing is that I've just changed my old G5 iMac for this machine three
months back. Before that the router behaved perfectly. Never a
problem.