From: Paul S on
I get this error when I try to run MS Update on three machines. It suggests
two solutions - reboot the machine, makes no difference - delete the
rebootrequired registry key, it isn't present anyway.

One machine I had just completely reinstalled with XP Pro. I managed to
backtrack to Windows Update, which works fine, but I get this error if I try
MS Update. There is no reboot required indication on the task bar, nor does
it show any updates to install on shutdown.

MS Update still works on other XP machines without any problem, including
some that have been cleaned and reinstalled with the same disk, albeit some
time ago.

I tried to update two servers running 2003 server, both are now also
suffering the same problem and the the two solutions give the same results.
I have failed to fall back to Windows Update on these machines, perhaps
because MS Update has been working fine for a long time. The last time I ran
MS Update on these machines, about 3 months ago, it worked perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> ...The last time I
> ran MS Update on these machines, about 3 months ago, it worked perfectly.

3 months ago? Is Automatic Updates disabled on all three computers or...?

> One machine I had just completely reinstalled with XP Pro.

Why and how did you do it? Is WinXP SP2 or SP3 installed on the computer
now?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed on each computer
and is your subscription current?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on any of
the computers (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you
reinstalled, e.g., WinXP)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)