From: Me on
Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as customers!
How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL SOFTWARE THAT IS SAFE AND
ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!

No wonder people are buying Macs.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped by original responder>

Me wrote:
> Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as
> customers! How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL
> SOFTWARE THAT IS SAFE AND ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT
> NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!
>
> No wonder people are buying Macs.

A response from "Me" without even the common courtesy or fortitude in their
own belief to give an actual name. Shows not only ignorance of facts but
lack of will.

Macs get updates. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 (example)

As far as selling *anything* that is safe by anyone - rarely exists and
where it does - it is usually mundane and not as useful as most other
products. ;-)

Again - peer-to-peer. No one here (unless specified) represents Microsoft
in any fashion. Much like me - volunteers - people give of their time and
knowledge as they see fit, freely, to assist others where they can.

Sometimes people do not come here to get assistance - but to rant (see your
posting for an example if unsure what I mean.) I do not understand what
they hope to accomplish other than a release of whatever frustration
build-up they might have surrounding their own situation (and most of the
time - that is all it comes down to in all forms - they are looking for an
outlet for the frustrations and the trouble is usually with *their* system.)

Good luck with that - hope you got what you came for - even if you had to do
so anonymously by tacking onto a post started in July 2009/ending in
September 2009.

Here it is in its entirety - in case where ever you posted from missed some:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/4056d0f412fde1d9

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Infamous hacker applauds the security of Microsoft software; less than
pleased with Apple and Adobe offerings
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/04/16/infamous-hacker-applauds-the-security-of-microsoft-software-apple-adobe-not-so-good/

Me wrote:
> Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as
> customers! How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL SOFTWARE THAT
> IS SAFE AND ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!
>
> No wonder people are buying Macs.
<snip>

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-04-21 2:28 a.m., Me wrote:

> Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as customers!
> How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL SOFTWARE THAT IS SAFE AND
> ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!

Unfortunately, software engineering as a science is still in a very early stage;
more akin to alchemy than chemistry, really. Put simply, nobody knows how to
make reliable software, except perhaps in some special cases.

Harry.
From: CB3dot on

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> On 2010-04-21 2:28 a.m., Me wrote:
>
> > Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as customers!
> > How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL SOFTWARE THAT IS SAFE AND
> > ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!
>
> Unfortunately, software engineering as a science is still in a very early stage;
> more akin to alchemy than chemistry, really. Put simply, nobody knows how to
> make reliable software, except perhaps in some special cases.
>
> Harry.
> .

Perhaps it sooths the heart of the enraged beast to bark and wail into the
wind, but in the end, generally no one is listening who can provide solace.

I was a programmer for many years, and wrote and released code, sometimes
unaware of a bug that slumbered in some dark corner until awakened. When that
happened, we reviewed the code, made changes, tested, published and hoped the
fix worked.

Back in the day when we were on mainframe computers, updates from IBM and
major providers went through rigorous testing life cycles and were not pushed
out to clients until proper, standardized procedures were performed.

Today, the culture has demanded instant new functionality. In the background
is the driver, YOU and ME, who demand that productA stay ahead of productB.
Testing is performed at a rudimentary level by someone sitting at a virtual
desktop, in a virtual location with an address at 123 Elm Street, country
unknown. Anything beyond the first level of testing is performed by THE USER!
When something goes wrong, we sling invective into ahole in the ground, that
reverberates, falling on ears belonging to someone who might wish to help,
but in the end has focus split between trying to help, and at the same time
slinging one back.

The fact is, we can embrace and work with the culture, or sit in a corner,
stare at the blank wall and despair.