From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-04-23 5:27 a.m., CB3dot wrote:

> Back in the day when we were on mainframe computers, updates from IBM and
> major providers went through rigorous testing life cycles and were not pushed
> out to clients until proper, standardized procedures were performed.

Microsoft does actually do this sort of testing, which is one of the reasons
there is often such a long delay between the original vulnerability report and
the release of an update. But IBM operating systems ran on IBM computers, and
generally weren't mucked about much by third parties: Windows runs on PCs from a
large number of third parties, and typically has all sorts of third party
software (malicious and/or benign) modifying its behaviour. There are just too
many variables nowadays for testing to be as effective as it once was.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: BabyD on

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> <snipped by original responder>
>
> Robert Thomas wrote:
> > Windows Update offered this, and when installed, disabled the
> > built-in wireless network adapter on my HP laptop. Fortunately, I
> > was able to roll back windows XP using system restore, but sheesh!
> >
> > Please don't off any more updates that disable my system. I lost
> > two hours trying to get my adapter to work before i gave up and did
> > the ollback. This isn't funny. People are trying to get work done
> > out here.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup. No one here likely offered you anything
> > at all - and even if they did - it is your options to investigate it and
> > accept/deny the offer as you see fit. Accepting things you don't
> > understand
> > is probably not something you should do anyway. ;-)
>
> Me wrote:
> > Great customer service! We can tell Microsoft values it's people as
> > customers! How about Microsoft's responsibility to ONLY SELL
> > SOFTWARE THAT IS SAFE AND ACTUALLY WORKS WITHOUT
> > NEEDING UPDATES EVERY WEEK?!
> >
> > No wonder people are buying Macs.
>
> A response from "Me" without even the common courtesy or fortitude in their
> own belief to give an actual name. Shows not only ignorance of facts but
> lack of will.
>
> Macs get updates. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 (example)
>
> As far as selling *anything* that is safe by anyone - rarely exists and
> where it does - it is usually mundane and not as useful as most other
> products. ;-)
>
> Again - peer-to-peer. No one here (unless specified) represents Microsoft
> in any fashion. Much like me - volunteers - people give of their time and
> knowledge as they see fit, freely, to assist others where they can.
>
> Sometimes people do not come here to get assistance - but to rant (see your
> posting for an example if unsure what I mean.) I do not understand what
> they hope to accomplish other than a release of whatever frustration
> build-up they might have surrounding their own situation (and most of the
> time - that is all it comes down to in all forms - they are looking for an
> outlet for the frustrations and the trouble is usually with *their* system.)
>
> Good luck with that - hope you got what you came for - even if you had to do
> so anonymously by tacking onto a post started in July 2009/ending in
> September 2009.
>
> Here it is in its entirety - in case where ever you posted from missed some:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/4056d0f412fde1d9
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

I agree, I have used a windows pc since they came out. and also have a mac.
And needless to say the proof is in the pudding. Windows has way to me
problems and i mean more than just the updates. MAC IS THE WAY TO GO. worry
fee
From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-05-13 5:04 a.m., BabyD wrote:

> I agree, I have used a windows pc since they came out. and also have a mac.
> And needless to say the proof is in the pudding. Windows has way to me
> problems and i mean more than just the updates. MAC IS THE WAY TO GO. worry
> fee

It's always puzzled me a bit when people say things like this. Quite apart from
the hideous user interface (admittedly I've heard it's improved in the last few
years) my experience has always been the opposite - I've always found Windows to
be more reliable than MacOS.

I'm only working with Windows these days, but for five or six years I supported
both Windows and Macintosh teaching labs. As a matter of professional pride, I
really did try my best to hate both platforms equally, but I couldn't ignore the
fact that the Macintoshes gave me a great deal more grief.

My best guess is that the discrepancy comes from two factors:

1) Macintoshes, I suspect, become much less reliable in an enterprise
configuration than they are at home. If anything the opposite may be true for
Windows. This would kind of make sense if you think about it, because Apple
started out in the home market and Microsoft in the business market.

The enterprise sector isn't very significant for Apple, AFAIK - there are some
trades which generally use Macs but I suspect they are typically set up as
stand-alone machines, administered on a 1:1 basis; in other words, just like
home machines. So I'm not sure Apple put very much effort into support and
testing in the enterprise context.

2) Home PCs are often cheap and nasty hardware, whereas I've generally used more
reliable equipment. My experience suggeests that Macintoshes lie somewhere in
the middle of the range, not as good as the best PC hardware, but much better
than the cheapest stuff. Hardware faults are to blame for OS instability more
often than people think.

Harry.