From: John Doe on
It often happens to me that when I try to undelete certain files that I
removed from another computer on the local network, the unedelte software
does not find them, except maybe a couple of times out of ten.
I tried several free and commencial (mostly demos) applications like Recuva,
Active(a)Undelete, Glary Utilities, R-Studio 3.5...
What I do is, exactly:
1) From Computer B I delete a file located on computer A.
2) After realizing I made a mistake I go to PC A and (as I know the file is
not on the trash can) I scan the disk (thus locally)... but in most of
cases the undelete utilities come out with thousand of files I erased years
ago (and that have no chance of being restored) BUT no trace is found of the
file I've just deleted!?!
This is particularly annoying as files deleted by a network system do not
finish in the trash can, as you know, so they're lost and that's all.

Thanks for reading this.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Maybe this can Help,
http://www.webopedia.com/didyouknow/Computer_Science/2009/network_file_recovery.asp
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: John Doe on
I've already looked at this, but it won't help with file files deleted
before it has been installed! Thanks anyway..

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
The only other recourse is to locally run an Undelete program on the
computer with the deleted files.
May be you will be lucky and will be able to Undelete some of them.
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

From: Anteaus on
Might add that this is one reason you should use a single computer for
storing network data, and back it up regularly.

Undelete is an emergency rescue procedure, it should not be relied upon.

Lazy Mirror is good for making disk backups with historical changes preserved.