From: Patrick on
I just install SQL Server 2008 R2 Database and try to access from other
machine with SQL Server 2005 / SQL Server 2008 Management Studio but not
successful.

I would like to know whether it is possible to access SQL Server 2008 R2
database via previous release client ? I have started SQL Browser and
enabled all Network Protocol, is there anything being missed out ?

Thanks
From: Patrick on
Dear John and Andrew,

Thanks for your advice.

I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on a Windows 7 machine.
However, I check the system requirement and find that Windows 7 doesn't
support it.

In this way, I install it on a Windows 2003 Server. I am able to
connect it via Management Studio from other machines.

Regards,
Patrick

From: Patrick on
I cannot recall the exact wording but it says cannot connect to the SQL
Server Instance as it is not reachable and ask me to make sure that Name
Pipe protocol to be opened.

Before checking the system requirement, I also guess whether it is a
Firewall Problem. I have disabled Firewall but still cannot get through.

Regards,
Patrick