From: Pollard on
Hello Everyone,

Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow
because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free
edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data.

And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB.

Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition
workgroup and gave us the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the
comparison.

The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for
sql server. As we are a small firm and cant afford to this much amount.

Please suggest any alternate methods.

Thanks
Pollard

From: Fred on

"Pollard" <u60001(a)uwe> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
a7e094c1bda57(a)uwe...
> Hello Everyone,

Hello,

> Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running
> slow
> because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a
> free
> edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data.

> And our database which we are currently using is now having more than
> 4.5 GB.

Upgrade to SQL 2008 R2 Express edition. The limit is now 10 Gb.
But I am afraid this is not the reason why it is slow.
SQL Express has two others limits which are :
- no more than 1Gb RAM (for Data, I guess, because the process can grow
until about 1.6Gb)
- only one CPU

--
Fred
foleide(a)free.fr

From: Geoff Schaller on
Pollard,

Business is business so if your business is expanding faster than the
free services can provide then surely you have an income model that can
cope. And anyway, don't you price your services on what things cost?

Internationally, hosting for $100/mth (around 4500 rupees), assuming it
comes with a server box, OS and SQL Server etc is quite reasonable. If
it is a website then for around $300/year you can get a SQL Server
database for free but you mentioned hosting, so I presume your entire
environment is loaded there.

If this service is for you then you shouldn't be looking at hosting but
should run your own box and obtain your own licenses. This will ALWAYS
be cheaper than a hosted solution. And far more efficient and far more
accessible and not reliant on the internet, and... and... and... If you
are hosting because you are offering out services to other people and
you need the reliability of a data centre then you have to expect to
price the services accordingly.

Geoff

From: pollard via SQLMonster.com on
Hello Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. We suggested our hosting company to upgrade from sql
server 2005 express edition to 2008 R2 Express edition. But now our web
hosting company says that they are ready for an upgrade but they wont give
support or maintain the database with the new edition and says that we have
to maintain the database. I guess this is too much they are asking from us.

They only told us previously to upgrade to higher version but for a paid one.
Now when we suggested them a higher version but free, they say that they will
not maintain the database. This is really frustrating.

I don't know why they are pressurizing us for paid version. As i told before
now we are using sql server 2005 express edition which is also a free version
and hosting company is maintaining it. So what is the problem with them to
maintain the upgraded version of 2008.

We are really fed up with these guys and want to change our hosting company.
Could any of you guys pls suggest us the list of good hosting companies who
will not create these types of problems and unnecessary tensions. Following
below are our details

Website files size is about 5 GB and Database file size around 4.5 GB. Also
there are few concerns during shifting of server such as if we transfer our
db and files how long will it take since the site is heavy . Will there be a
downtime of the web site. Will the site be any hacking attempt since it's an
ecommerce web site.

We would appreciate if any of you could please help us in this regards

Thanks,
Pollard

From: Geoff Schaller on
Pollard,

I am only familiar with Australian hosts but you could check these guys
out as a way of comparison. www.studiocoast.com.au they are very good
and they are really flexible and always answer the phone. Nothing too
hard - reverse DNS entries, database help, ftp, help with DNS and mail,
etc. If you want to compare prices, the Aussie dollar is about 45
rupees.

But I recommend you try to find one in your time zone so that you can
pick up the phone and yell at them. Phone support is very important to
us because when you don't know what you're doing, one phone call can
save hours.

Your country must have a zillion ISP hosts but I don't have any specific
recommendations sorry.

Geoff