From: neilsolent on
I would like to monitor multiple Oracle systems with a 3rd party
product. The 3rd party product has the capability to SNMP query/walk
OIDs at specified IP address(es).
My question is - do I need to query each Oracle server? Or can I
install OEM and just quey the one OEM server?

I realise you could setup OEM to send SNMP traps to the 3rd party
product, but it is not desirable to do that in this case.

So my question really is - does OEM maintain an SNMP MIB on behalf of
all the Oracle servers it manages?

thanks,

Neil
From: John Hurley on
Neil:

> I would like to monitor multiple Oracle systems with a 3rd party
> product. The 3rd party product has the capability to SNMP query/walk
> OIDs at specified IP address(es).
> My question is - do I need to query each Oracle server? Or can I
> install OEM and just quey the one OEM server?
>
> I realise you could setup OEM to send SNMP traps to the 3rd party
> product, but it is not desirable to do that in this case.
>
> So my question really is - does OEM maintain an SNMP MIB on behalf of
> all the Oracle servers it manages?
>
> thanks,
>
> Neil

Did you look at the documentation?

Is your installation using grid control or just database control?

What versions of oracle and what operating systems?

Are you licensed for diagnostics pack and/or tuning pack?
From: John Hurley on
Neil:

Start by reading this ... it never surprises me that people do not
start by looking at vendor doc ...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11857_01/em.111/b16244/chap1.htm

Note diagnostics pack licensing requirements as applicable.
From: neilsolent on
On 4 July, 20:34, John Hurley <hurleyjo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Neil:
>
> > I would like to monitor multiple Oracle systems with a 3rd party
> > product. The 3rd party product has the capability to SNMP query/walk
> > OIDs at specified IP address(es).
> > My question is - do I need to query each Oracle server? Or can I
> > install OEM and just quey the one OEM server?
>
> > I realise you could setup OEM to send SNMP traps to the 3rd party
> > product, but it is not desirable to do that in this case.
>
> > So my question really is - does OEM maintain an SNMP MIB on behalf of
> > all the Oracle servers it manages?
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Neil
>
> Did you look at the documentation?
>
> Is your installation using grid control or just database control?
>
> What versions of oracle and what operating systems?
>
> Are you licensed for diagnostics pack and/or tuning pack?

Thanks John.
I had a look at the documentation, but I haven't scoured it in detail.
I didn't think the documentation I read was clear - a lot of confusing
terms in use.
This is really a design question - I don't have anything installed at
this stage, I just want to know which way to go.
I'll re-phrase the questoin: are there any circumstances of Oracle
installation - grid control/not grid control/database control/any
Oracle version - in which a central point such as OEM holds
information on behalf of distirbuted Oracle databases, that can be got
at with an snmpget?
From: John Hurley on
neil:

> Thanks John.
> I had a look at the documentation, but I haven't scoured it in detail.
> I didn't think the documentation I read was clear - a lot of confusing
> terms in use.
> This is really a design question - I don't have anything installed at
> this stage, I just want to know which way to go.
> I'll re-phrase the questoin: are there any circumstances of Oracle
> installation - grid control/not grid control/database control/any
> Oracle version - in which a central point such as OEM holds
> information on behalf of distirbuted Oracle databases, that can be got
> at with an snmpget?

If you are considering purchasing and using Oracle database software
including possibly grid control or if not at least the diagnostic pack
( maybe tuning pack ) then you have a lot of better choices for
monitoring Oracle than integrating some 3rd party package using snmp
functionality.

Oracle software these days on recent releases does a pretty darn good
job of monitoring and alerting ... why not use that functionality.

Take a look at that 10.2 doc link I gave you for snmp stuff ( really
probably you want to take a look at the 11.2 version of that doc ) ...
it can lead you into other areas.

You probably really want to use the services of an experienced Oracle
technical architect or at least a strong Oracle DBA as you look at
design options.

Asking questions about how you are going to use snmp to monitor Oracle
without a clear plan of what Oracle options you are going to use ( RAC
maybe ... grid control maybe ... diagnostic and/or tuning packs
maybe ) is kind of like trying to use the tail to wag the dog. Get
the design of the Oracle infrastructure down first.