From: Robert on
Email and Issuing Cert Server:
Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 Running on Windows Server 2003 SP1

Client Machine:
Outlook 2003 running on Window XP SP2

I've created a root off line CA and am using an online subordinate
enterprise CA. The chain is good and I requested a user cert from the on
line issuing CA. Got the cert no problem. I then exported the cert on
the XP machine and using outlook imported the cert ....so far so good.

I then attempt to publish to the GAL and I get a dialog box that tells
me there are no valid security settings to publish. I've Googled the
heck on this issue and have not found anything useful.

Anyone know how to fix this? is my cert not of the right type?
From: andy webb on
Sounds like the cert doesn't have the Secure Email intended purpose extended
attribute. That's an indicator that the certificate template wasn't set
correctly.

On your CA, look at the details of the certificate templates and you'll see
that there are a couple different choices of certs that can be implemented
and depending on which are enabled, which are set for autoenroll, etc. can
determine if you got the right thing.