From: sifar786 on
Hello,

I had installed SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (as Administrator)
recently on my HP Vista Laptop and initially it gave me some errors n then i
reinstalled it again and i was able to connect to the Database Engine and all
other services.

Now, i have another Admin Account by name of ZAKI and i logged in and tried
connecting to the Database Engine, and then it started giving me errors like,
Named Pipes error 40 etc and later on "cannot connect to database file".
Though i was able to connect to the other services. Please note i had
installed SQL Server With same account "NT AUTHORITY / SYSTEM".

I then uninstalled it, rebooted my laptop, logged in as Administrator
,installed SQL Server as NT ATHORITY / NETWORK SERVICE for all accounts, but
while installing getting this same error now.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup
------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2203.
Database: C:\Windows\Installer\201060.ipi. Cannot open database file. System
error -2147287035.

For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0&EvtType=0xF45F6601%25401201%25401

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------

What i need to know is:
1] Why this error? How to resolve it?
2] How to connect SQL Server Database Engine and other services on both the
Administrator as well as Zaki (Admin) account.
3] What is the default installation account for all the Services and
Database Engine?

Regards,

From: John Bell on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 02:12:01 -0700, sifar786
<sifar786(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I had installed SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (as Administrator)
>recently on my HP Vista Laptop and initially it gave me some errors n then i
>reinstalled it again and i was able to connect to the Database Engine and all
>other services.
>
>Now, i have another Admin Account by name of ZAKI and i logged in and tried
>connecting to the Database Engine, and then it started giving me errors like,
>Named Pipes error 40 etc and later on "cannot connect to database file".
>Though i was able to connect to the other services. Please note i had
>installed SQL Server With same account "NT AUTHORITY / SYSTEM".
>
>I then uninstalled it, rebooted my laptop, logged in as Administrator
>,installed SQL Server as NT ATHORITY / NETWORK SERVICE for all accounts, but
>while installing getting this same error now.
>
>TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup
>------------------------------
>
>The following error has occurred:
>
>The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2203.
>Database: C:\Windows\Installer\201060.ipi. Cannot open database file. System
>error -2147287035.
>
>For help, click:
>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.2531.0&EvtType=0xF45F6601%25401201%25401
>
>------------------------------
>BUTTONS:
>
>OK
>------------------------------
>

>What i need to know is:
>1] Why this error? How to resolve it?
>2] How to connect SQL Server Database Engine and other services on both the
>Administrator as well as Zaki (Admin) account.
>3] What is the default installation account for all the Services and
>Database Engine?
>
>Regards,

Hi

Books Online advises that Network Services is not used for SQL Server
or SQL Agent Service Account see
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx.

If you want to add the additional administration accounts then it can
be done either after the installation in the same way that new logons
and users are created
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337552.aspx or you can
do it during the account provisioning part of setup

John