From: Richard Collette on
My full text indexed column contains two records, "baseball" and "avacado".
I can search on "baseball" and "baseballs" and the record that has
"baseball" is returned in both cases.
If I search on "avacado" the record with "avacado" is returned.
If I search on the plural "avacados", the record with "avacado" is NOT
returned.

Why is the stemmer not recognizing the plural of a noun?

Here is the exact query being executed in a stored procedure:

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[TopicSearch]
@topic nvarchar(100),
@languageId int = 1033, --Default is english
@count int = 50,
@orderByRank bit = 'FALSE'
AS
begin
set nocount on

declare @trimmedTopic nvarchar(100) = LOWER(LTRIM(RTRIM(@topic)))

if (@trimmedTopic = '')
RAISERROR('The topic parameter is empty',10,0)

select T.topic_id,T.topic,KEY_TBL.RANK, (select COUNT(*) from
dbo.Experience$Topic ET where T.topic_id=ET.topic_id) as occurrences
from FREETEXTTABLE(dbo.Topic,Topic,@trimmedTopic,LANGUAGE
@languageId,@count) as KEY_TBL
inner join dbo.TOPIC T on KEY_TBL.[KEY]=T.topic_id
order by
case
when @orderByRank='TRUE' then
KEY_TBL.RANK
else
(select COUNT(*) from dbo.Experience$Topic ET where T.topic_id=ET.topic_id)
end desc

end

From: Chris M on
On 17/05/2010 14:30, Richard Collette wrote:
> My full text indexed column contains two records, "baseball" and "avacado".
> I can search on "baseball" and "baseballs" and the record that has
> "baseball" is returned in both cases.
> If I search on "avacado" the record with "avacado" is returned.
> If I search on the plural "avacados", the record with "avacado" is NOT
> returned.
>
> Why is the stemmer not recognizing the plural of a noun?

Just a hunch, but perhaps try spelling avocado and avocados correctly?

--
Chris M.
From: Kalen Delaney on
That was my guess, too. :-)