From: tshad on
I have a Toshiba Laptop running XP Pro that will not allow me to install
IIS.

I get the following error:

Setup cannot copy the file adsutil.vbs

The files are in the IIS6.CAB. In the I386 folder.

The interesting thing is that the file is actually IIS_adsutil.vbs. All the
files are prepended with "IIS_".

How do I get this installed? I need it so that I can get VS 2003 installed.

Toshiba is worthless. They don't supply an OEM version of your OS so when
it asks for the disk - you don't have one. They also won't give you one.
Their only response is to run the Recovery Disk and wipe out your disk.
That's seems to be all they know how to do.

Microsoft is no better. It is their program but they won't talk to you
unless you pay $99. This is just to get it installed. They also will not
supply with the disk you should have since you paid for the OS.

I have spent hours on this problem.

I did try to run the:

esentutl /p %windir%/security/database/secedit.sdb

which didn't help.

Anyone know how to solve this problem? This is the last time I will buy a
toshiba.

Thanks,

Tom

From: sgopus on
Use the extract command to extract the file from the cd store it on your root
directory on your hd, here is an example from an old w98 command, hopefully
xp still allows the extract command.
To Restore A File When The Correct Cab Is Unknown
If the correct CAB is unknown you can search all the cabs for the file using:

x:\win9x\extract.exe /A /L c:\windows\command base2.cab filename

The /A switch will allow you to search all CABs. If you sort the directory
that holds the CABs and use the first listed CAB you will search most of the
CABs but not all. The problem is not all CABs will be in the chain.
Precopy1.cab is one of those. mini.cab is another.

I know this is not exactly what you were looking for so mix and match to
what you need

From: James West on
you did not pay for the OS unless you bought a boxed version

read the licence

From: tshad on
"James West" <james.west(a)ss.gov> wrote in message
> you did not pay for the OS unless you bought a boxed version
>
> read the licence

I agree that I don't own the software, per se.

The license is a right to use license on the hardware it came with.
Therefore, I "OWN" that particular OS on that Computer. If I sell the
computer I lose the right to use that OS that is on that hardware and that
is transfered to the person that bought it. Now they own it (on that
hardware).

Tom

From: tshad on
"sgopus" <sgopus(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use the extract command to extract the file from the cd store it on your
> root
> directory on your hd, here is an example from an old w98 command,
> hopefully
> xp still allows the extract command.
> To Restore A File When The Correct Cab Is Unknown
> If the correct CAB is unknown you can search all the cabs for the file
> using:
>
> x:\win9x\extract.exe /A /L c:\windows\command base2.cab filename
>
> The /A switch will allow you to search all CABs. If you sort the directory
> that holds the CABs and use the first listed CAB you will search most of
> the
> CABs but not all. The problem is not all CABs will be in the chain.
> Precopy1.cab is one of those. mini.cab is another.
>
> I know this is not exactly what you were looking for so mix and match to
> what you need

I can look at the CAB file fine and the file is there - it is just
IIS_adsutil.vbs instead of adsutil.vbs. If I extract it - the filename is
the same and the installer still cannot find it.

If I change the name to adsutil.vbs the installer finds it fine and then it
can't find the next file (same IIS_ problem).

Tom

> "tshad" wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba Laptop running XP Pro that will not allow me to install
>> IIS.
>>
>> I get the following error:
>>
>> Setup cannot copy the file adsutil.vbs
>>
>> The files are in the IIS6.CAB. In the I386 folder.
>>
>> The interesting thing is that the file is actually IIS_adsutil.vbs. All
>> the
>> files are prepended with "IIS_".
>>
>> How do I get this installed? I need it so that I can get VS 2003
>> installed.
>>
>> Toshiba is worthless. They don't supply an OEM version of your OS so
>> when
>> it asks for the disk - you don't have one. They also won't give you one.
>> Their only response is to run the Recovery Disk and wipe out your disk.
>> That's seems to be all they know how to do.
>>
>> Microsoft is no better. It is their program but they won't talk to you
>> unless you pay $99. This is just to get it installed. They also will
>> not
>> supply with the disk you should have since you paid for the OS.
>>
>> I have spent hours on this problem.
>>
>> I did try to run the:
>>
>> esentutl /p %windir%/security/database/secedit.sdb
>>
>> which didn't help.
>>
>> Anyone know how to solve this problem? This is the last time I will buy
>> toshiba.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom

Pages: 1