From: John on
When I try to open system information under system tools, I receive the
following message"Can not access The Windows Management software. Windows
Management files may be moved or missing. System restore does not correct
this problem. I have WinXP Media. How can I download the missing files. I
can't get them from my Sony recovery disk.
--
John N
From: Ramesh, MS-MVP on
Msinfo32.exe Generates a "Can't Collect Information" Error Message:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323209

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

From: John on

--
John N

From: frodo on
WMI errors, especially "namespace" errors, tend to result from corrupted
wmi data in the \windows\system32\wbem\respository directory.

the following .CMD file will rebuild that info:

------cut--------
cd /d %windir%\system32
regsvr32 /n /I userenv.dll
cd wbem
mofcomp scersop.mof
gpupdate /force
------cut----------

open notepad, copy the above lines to it, and save it w/ a .CMD extension.
Make sure notepad didn't name it .cmd.txt, it often does that (adding the
..txt).

then right click on the resulting file and choose "Open" (which RUNs it).
A pop-up will say "regsvr32 worked"; click ok; then the remaining lines
will fix the repository. Note it'll make a .rec file w/ the date as the
name, that's the "recovery file", which is just a save of the FS folder,
which is what gets rebuilt.

run msinfo32 after that and all should be well.
From: Ramesh, MS-MVP on
Repairing and re-registering the WMI:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

--

"John" <John(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A715005F-D470-4D1F-8283-A9601CED6092(a)microsoft.com...

--
John N