From: Peter on
Hi,

Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our
team and we could edit it at one time.
After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive
at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double
clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network drive,
it is accessible.

What may be the reason of such strange situation?

I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
this is the reason?

Peeter
From: Jerry Whittle on
All the users need to have read, write, create, and delete privileges for
both the database file AND the folder where it is located.

Also the database should be split into a Back End with all the tables and a
Front End containing the forms, reports, and queries. The BE goes on the
server while a copy of the FE goes on each user's PC.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: a a r o n . k e m p f on
the work around _MIGHT_ be to go and open MS Access and then open the
file, by using File, Open and then browse for the busy file.

I've found a lot of situations where I must do that to open Access
database, I'm really surprised that more people around here don't know
this workaround!

-Aaron

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Peter <Peter(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
>Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our
>team and we could edit it at one time.
>After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive
>at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double
>clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
>double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
>But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
>after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network drive,
>it is accessible.

To add to Jerry's response. You want to split the MDB into a Front End MDB
containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules with just the tables and
relationships in the Back End MDB. The FE is copied to each network users computer.
The FE MDB is linked to the tables in the back end MDB which resides on a server.
You make updates to the FE MDB and distribute them to the users, likely as an MDE.

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info. See the free Auto FE
Updater utility at http://www.autofeupdater.com/ to make the distribution of new FEs
relatively painless.. The utility also supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite
nicely.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: david on
Underneath, an OPLOCKS problem. First user has
automatic opportunistic locking from Server 2008, and
must release the database back to the server before
it can be opened. Probably a timing issue here.

On top, a DDE problem. Shell is probably using DDE
to tell Access which file to open. It fails with no error
message (a characteristic of DDE). Probably a timing issue.

> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are,
> may be this is the reason?

That would make the network slower. It may cause timing issues.

If this is right, possible solution would be to disable Opportunistic
Locking on the Server and/or on the Workstations.

Easier solution would be to open Access first, then open the
database from Access menu.

(david)

"Peter" <Peter(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
> Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in
> our
> team and we could edit it at one time.
> After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared
> drive
> at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by
> double
> clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
> double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
> But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
> after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network
> drive,
> it is accessible.
>
> What may be the reason of such strange situation?
>
> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
> this is the reason?
>
> Peeter

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2