From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks for your response. I went to Books Online and found out about the
Startup Parameters. Thanks for telling me about them! Here is what they
currently are:

-dc:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\master.
mdf;-ec:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Log\
ERRORLOG;-lc:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\
DATA\mastlog.ldf

I notice that there is no "-e" option, but there is a "-ec" with the valid
path for the error log. Similarly the "-d" has been replaced with "-dc". I
will correct these two items and try to start SQL Server.

From: Jeffrey Williams on
No - they are correct as is. The -e parameter includes the 'c' drive so it
looks like -ec...

From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks for your question and interest in my problem.

The error log is still not getting updated today. There is no error log for
today. Another poster suggested that I check the Startup Parameters in SQL
Server Configuration Manager, which I did, and all three of them were wrong,
so I fixed them, but I still have the same problem. (The paths were correct,
but the switches were wrong. - "-ec" instead of "-e", etc.)

Somehow SQL Server never gets started enough to write to the log? Does that
make sense?

From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks for telling me that. I put them back the way they were. Do you have
any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

From: John Bell on

> Thanks for your question and interest in my problem.
>
> The error log is still not getting updated today. There is no error log
> for
> today. Another poster suggested that I check the Startup Parameters in
> SQL
> Server Configuration Manager, which I did, and all three of them were
> wrong,
> so I fixed them, but I still have the same problem. (The paths were
> correct,
> but the switches were wrong. - "-ec" instead of "-e", etc.)
>
> Somehow SQL Server never gets started enough to write to the log? Does
> that
> make sense?
>
> John Bell wrote:
>>> Thanks again for your response. Here is what happened. When I typed the
>>> first command, I got:
>>[quoted text clipped - 62 lines]

>>Hi
>>
>>So the SQL server Error Log no longer has the "Starting up
>>Adventureworks2008" messages?
>>
>>John

Hi

You may want to try starting SQL Server from a command prompt rather than
using the service see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180965.aspx
as you will see the startup messages.
On the command line you can also specify the flags as per the previous posts
and change the log file using the -e flag.

e.g

Change your directory to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\BINN

then run:

SQLSERVR -S "SQLEXPRESS" -eC:\temp\errorlog.txt

The startup messages will also be in C:\temp\errorlog.txt

John