From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks for your response. I'm not using a server. This is all happening on
one machine, and no network is involved. I didn't shut the computer down.
It always says that at the end of the files and I don't know why.

When I use the SQLCMD string you suggest (SQLCMD -E -S ".\SQLEXPRESS") I get:

HResult OxFFFFFFFF, Level 16, State 1
SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error locating Server/Instance Specified
[xFFFFFFFF]
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: A network-related or
instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL
Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is
correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For
more information see SQL Server Books Online. .
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout
expired.

The name seems to be correct. I checked it in the properties box by right-
clicking on the service in SQL Server Configuration Manager. The other thing
it suggests is to check if SQL Server is configured to allow remote
connections. Does this apply when I'm running it all on the same computer?
There is no remote connection here. Where would I check that? II'm not a
network administrator and that means a lot of this is totally new to me.

From: John Bell on

"goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com" <u48443(a)uwe> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response. I'm not using a server. This is all happening
> on
> one machine, and no network is involved. I didn't shut the computer down.
> It always says that at the end of the files and I don't know why.
>
> When I use the SQLCMD string you suggest (SQLCMD -E -S ".\SQLEXPRESS") I
> get:
>
> HResult OxFFFFFFFF, Level 16, State 1
> SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error locating Server/Instance Specified
> [xFFFFFFFF]
> Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: A network-related
> or
> instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to
> SQL
> Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is
> correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For
> more information see SQL Server Books Online. .
> Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout
> expired.
>
> The name seems to be correct. I checked it in the properties box by
> right-
> clicking on the service in SQL Server Configuration Manager. The other
> thing
> it suggests is to check if SQL Server is configured to allow remote
> connections. Does this apply when I'm running it all on the same
> computer?
> There is no remote connection here. Where would I check that? II'm not a
> network administrator and that means a lot of this is totally new to me.
>
> John Bell wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>The start up looks ok. I assume you shut the server down? Did you try to
>>connect?
>>
>>What happens if you connect using:
>>
>>SQLCMD -E -S ".\SQLEXPRESS"
>>
>>For the SPN message see
>>
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/02/service-principal-name-spn.aspx
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/12/479871.aspx
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909801/en-us
>>
>>but that should not be an issue.
>>
>>John
>>
>>> Thanks, John. That worked. Here is the output in the errorlog.txt
>>> file:
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 183 lines]

Hi

In configuration manager you will have the protocols in use by the server
and the client applications. If shared memory is enabled on both then you
should be able to connect to the instance. When started from the command
prompt it indicates that client connections were permitted, therefore the
server thinks they should be allowed.

When I said shut the server down I was talking about SQL Server which if
started at the command prompt requires Ctrl-C or Ctrl-<Break> to shut down.

Have you renamed this server? Do you have any aliases assigned for this
instance (under SQL Native Client Configuration in Configuration Manager)?
Did you try the SQLCMD when you know the server was running?

Does the command (on one line!)
SQLSERVR -S SQLEXPRESS -e"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG"
work?

If it does can you connect with
SQLCMD -E -S ICHIBAN\SQLEXPRESS
or does it give the same error message?

John

From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
I did a complete uninstall and reinstalled and that fixed everything. Next
stop: tutorials! Thank you for all your help!

From: John Bell on

>I did a complete uninstall and reinstalled and that fixed everything. Next
> stop: tutorials! Thank you for all your help!
>
> John Bell wrote:
>>> Thanks for your response. I'm not using a server. This is all
>>> happening
>>> on
>>[quoted text clipped - 52 lines]

>>Hi
>>
>>In configuration manager you will have the protocols in use by the server
>>and the client applications. If shared memory is enabled on both then you
>>should be able to connect to the instance. When started from the command
>>prompt it indicates that client connections were permitted, therefore the
>>server thinks they should be allowed.
>>
>>When I said shut the server down I was talking about SQL Server which if
>>started at the command prompt requires Ctrl-C or Ctrl-<Break> to shut
>>down.
>>
>>Have you renamed this server? Do you have any aliases assigned for this
>>instance (under SQL Native Client Configuration in Configuration Manager)?
>>Did you try the SQLCMD when you know the server was running?
>>
>>Does the command (on one line!)
>>SQLSERVR -S SQLEXPRESS -e"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
>>Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG"
>>work?
>>
>>If it does can you connect with
>>SQLCMD -E -S ICHIBAN\SQLEXPRESS
>>or does it give the same error message?
>>
>>John

It looks like we missed something, but I am not sure what, sort of got a bit
confusing in there... usually I set a time limit on a problem where I think
a re-install will cure and then if that elapses resort to plan b!

John

From: goldenthroat via SQLMonster.com on
A time limit makes a lot of sense. And it did get a bit confusing. I'm
still learning so much.

Thanks,
Larry