From: Sue J Thomas on
All of a sudden I am getting this dialog when I try to d/l from msft!
And cannot get updates from the update site.

You cannot d/l from this publisher on this machine.

I have already added microsoft update to the trusted zone.
Any ideas?

winxp sp3
Sue

From: Sue J Thomas on
By the way: there WAS a windows re-install on this machine.....

From: Shenan Stanley on
Sue J Thomas wrote:
> All of a sudden I am getting this dialog when I try to d/l from
> msft! And cannot get updates from the update site.
>
> You cannot d/l from this publisher on this machine.
>
> I have already added microsoft update to the trusted zone.
> Any ideas?
>
> winxp sp3

That is the message word-for-word?

"You cannot d/l from this publisher on this machine"?

WORD-FOR-WORD. Very important.

My suggestions, follow these directions *as given* and don't deviate just
because you think (or even if you *know*) you have done a step previously.
In order, as given. ;-) At least you can tell people what all you have
done and eliminate a lot of possibilities if you do this.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you said you have SP3 already..

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
..
Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You've been having Windows Update problems for quite some time, Sue. Your
posts' headers suggest you've not been able to update the WinXP SP3 computer
for well over a year now.

cf. your 17 Mar-10 post about 0x8DDD0020 &ActiveX errors:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/aff805d147a3775d

cf. your 13 Mar-10 thread about an 0x80242006 error (when you're computer
wasn't fully-patched either):
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/293f094b49a0366f

> there WAS a windows re-install on this machine

When (approx. date) did you reinstall WinXP and why did you do it?

Did you do a Repair Install or a clean install?

Was IE7 or IE8 installed when you reinstalled WinXP?

What anti-virus application or security suite was installed before you
reinstalled WinXP and was your subscription current?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you reinstall
WinXP)?

PS: Yes, I ask a lot of questions. Yes, doing so ends up helping the user
more quickly.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Sue J Thomas on
Yes, that was WORD FOR WORD.
Seemed like maybe some malware inserted msft as an 'untrusted publisher' in
the
"Content" tab of Int. Options. Removed these entries and problem solved.
Malware
was 2 entries in the registry for "MyWebSearch". All ok now. Called
PCSafety and
got a bit of help, thanks to them having me d/l and run SunbeltSoftware
Vipre.
Never had to check 'Content' tab before. WU clear now and all ok. :) for
everything!
Oh....ie7, xp pro sp3
Sue

Pages: 1