From: Liz on
No results are showing anytime I try to search this forum with the most basic
word....I never had problems before....anyone else having problems with
querying the forum today?
From: FSt1 on
and since this test post took, i would guess it has decided to work. at least
for a while. so search quick.

Regards
FSt1

From: Joe User on
"Liz" wrote:
> No results are showing anytime I try to search
> this forum with the most basic word....I never
> had problems before....anyone else having
> problems with querying the forum today?

Common complaint among users of the MS Discussion Groups web interface. Its
search feature is unpredictable, at best. Consider yourself lucky not to
have encountered any problem before.

No "perfect" alternative. Google Groups works best; but it has its share of
problems.

Success with a news reader that connects directly to the MSnews server or
other archive of MS newsgroups depends on the reliability and features of the
news reader/server.
From: Joe User on
"FSt1" wrote:
> this is why some users have switched to news readers.

Not a panacea. The MSnews server per se does not provide a search feature.
(Don't know about other news servers that mirrior MS newsgroups.) Moreover,
the MSnews server deletes articles older than 90 days. So search success
depends on the features of the news reader as well as how complete your local
cache of MSnews articles is.

PS: I switched to accessing the MSnews server directly because that is the
most reliable way to see articles archived there. Google Groups, for
example, fails to archive some articles posted using the MS Discussion Groups
web interface. I have yet to find a consistent rule to explain why. And of
course, I cannot know if articles posted by other interfaces are also ignored
by Google Groups.

From: FSt1 on
hi
you're right. but i was just pointing that out because of the "reliability"
problem not the search.

regards
FSt1