From: FXP on

Tom in PA;1194375 Wrote:
> I just pulled my Canon S410, which I haven't used since '08, out of
> the drawer to make sure it was working OK, as I wanted to take it as a
> backup camera on an upcoming trip. It was fine when last used. It
> now has a strange problem: all normal functions (such as changing
> settings using Function, Menu,etc.) are working and the screen will
> display photos taken back in '08 from the CF card. But in picture-
> taking mode, the screen is black (except for all the usual icons):
> there is no image of what the camera is pointed at. Also, it will
> snap photos (and fire the flash) that, when viewed on either the
> camera screen or my PC, are there but are totally black.
>
> No, I didn't leave the lens cap on! Doesn't have one. Lens extends
> as usual, zooms in and out, etc. No odd behavior there.
>
> I'm guessing I'm ******* with respect to using the camera, but am at
> least curious. Any ideas regarding what has gone wrong here?
>
> Thanks in advance!

CANON is a GREAT company! They have experienced problems with the ccd
used in some of their cameras and are standing behind their product by
repairing this defect regardless of warranty status. Check it out
here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=257&modelid=13390&keycode=2112&id=29819

From: davy on

Have you tried a full re set?