From: Sandy Foster on
I'm going to upgrade to SL soon, but I'm trying to get all of my ducks
in a row first. <g> I have a Canon Pixma MP800, which I currently have
hooked to the USB port in my Airport Base Station, allowing both my
MacBook and my husband's MacBook (in a different room) to print
wirelessly, though I must connect directly to scan; that's fine.�

Just today I noticed that Canon has put out new drivers, both printer
and scanner, for my all-in-one. The printer driver, though, is CUPS.
What exactly does that mean? The version, specifically, is�MP800 CUPS
Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6).�

One more question: has anyone already installed this driver in SL? Does
it work well?

Thanks so much!

--
Sandy
sw.foster 1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <invalid-3B4A10.16563209092009(a)news.supernews.com>,
Sandy Foster <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I'm going to upgrade to SL soon, but I'm trying to get all of my ducks
> in a row first. <g> I have a Canon Pixma MP800, which I currently have
> hooked to the USB port in my Airport Base Station, allowing both my
> MacBook and my husband's MacBook (in a different room) to print
> wirelessly, though I must connect directly to scan; that's fine.�
>
> Just today I noticed that Canon has put out new drivers, both printer
> and scanner, for my all-in-one. The printer driver, though, is CUPS.
> What exactly does that mean? The version, specifically, is�MP800 CUPS
> Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6).�
>
> One more question: has anyone already installed this driver in SL? Does
> it work well?
>
> Thanks so much!

I think you probably won't need to install anything at all. Canon
drivers are included in the base install, and what isn't there will be
automatically downloaded as needed by the OS when you access the printer.

JR
From: Sandy on
In article <jollyroger-732E33.20203109092009(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <invalid-3B4A10.16563209092009(a)news.supernews.com>,
> Sandy Foster <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to upgrade to SL soon, but I'm trying to get all of my ducks
> > in a row first. <g> I have a Canon Pixma MP800, which I currently have
> > hooked to the USB port in my Airport Base Station, allowing both my
> > MacBook and my husband's MacBook (in a different room) to print
> > wirelessly, though I must connect directly to scan; that's fine.�
> >
> > Just today I noticed that Canon has put out new drivers, both printer
> > and scanner, for my all-in-one. The printer driver, though, is CUPS.
> > What exactly does that mean? The version, specifically, is�MP800 CUPS
> > Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6).�
> >
> > One more question: has anyone already installed this driver in SL? Does
> > it work well?
> >
> > Thanks so much!
>
> I think you probably won't need to install anything at all. Canon
> drivers are included in the base install, and what isn't there will be
> automatically downloaded as needed by the OS when you access the printer.

Thanks for the reply, but Canon told me I'd need new drivers last week.

Be that as it may, what is a CUPS driver? <G>

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <jollyroger-732E33.20203109092009(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <invalid-3B4A10.16563209092009(a)news.supernews.com>,
> Sandy Foster <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to upgrade to SL soon, but I'm trying to get all of my ducks
> > in a row first. <g> I have a Canon Pixma MP800, which I currently have
> > hooked to the USB port in my Airport Base Station, allowing both my
> > MacBook and my husband's MacBook (in a different room) to print
> > wirelessly, though I must connect directly to scan; that's fine.�
> >
> > Just today I noticed that Canon has put out new drivers, both printer
> > and scanner, for my all-in-one. The printer driver, though, is CUPS.
> > What exactly does that mean? The version, specifically, is�MP800 CUPS
> > Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6).�
> >
> > One more question: has anyone already installed this driver in SL? Does
> > it work well?
> >
> > Thanks so much!
>
> I think you probably won't need to install anything at all. Canon
> drivers are included in the base install, and what isn't there will be
> automatically downloaded as needed by the OS when you access the printer.

Yeah, but if the printer is network connected, SL doesn't see it without
a driver and won't load a driver until it sees it. Can you say
"Catch-22?"

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Doug Anderson on
Sandy <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> In article <jollyroger-732E33.20203109092009(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <invalid-3B4A10.16563209092009(a)news.supernews.com>,
> > Sandy Foster <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to upgrade to SL soon, but I'm trying to get all of my ducks
> > > in a row first. <g> I have a Canon Pixma MP800, which I currently have
> > > hooked to the USB port in my Airport Base Station, allowing both my
> > > MacBook and my husband's MacBook (in a different room) to print
> > > wirelessly, though I must connect directly to scan; that's fine.�
> > >
> > > Just today I noticed that Canon has put out new drivers, both printer
> > > and scanner, for my all-in-one. The printer driver, though, is CUPS.
> > > What exactly does that mean? The version, specifically, is�MP800 CUPS
> > > Printer Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6).�
> > >
> > > One more question: has anyone already installed this driver in SL? Does
> > > it work well?
> > >
> > > Thanks so much!
> >
> > I think you probably won't need to install anything at all. Canon
> > drivers are included in the base install, and what isn't there will be
> > automatically downloaded as needed by the OS when you access the printer.
>

> Thanks for the reply, but Canon told me I'd need new drivers last week.
>
> Be that as it may, what is a CUPS driver? <G>

CUPS stands for Common Unix Printing Solution. The idea then is that
unix based OSes that use CUPS can then all use the same driver (that
runs under cups) for a particular printer.