From: Shaun on
Hello,

I recently bought a Blue ESR meter and assembled it and it is working well.
In the instructions it mentions making a jig with a 100 ohm 5 watt resistor
attached to some probes for discharging capacitors before testing them with
the ESR meter.

How does one calculate the required resistor wattage for different capacitor
values. Say I wanted to discharge a 63 volt cap at 500 microfarads, would 5
watts be enough. Right now I've made a probe jig with four 100 ohm 3 watt
resistors for a total of 100 ohms at 12 watts.

thanks in advance,

Shaun

From: Tom Biasi on

"Shaun" <rowl(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a Blue ESR meter and assembled it and it is working
> well. In the instructions it mentions making a jig with a 100 ohm 5 watt
> resistor attached to some probes for discharging capacitors before testing
> them with the ESR meter.
>
> How does one calculate the required resistor wattage for different
> capacitor values. Say I wanted to discharge a 63 volt cap at 500
> microfarads, would 5 watts be enough. Right now I've made a probe jig
> with four 100 ohm 3 watt resistors for a total of 100 ohms at 12 watts.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I could say a few words here but Sam can provide you with much more info.
See here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm

Tom

From: Shaun on

"Tom Biasi" <tombiasi(a)optonline.net> wrote in message

> "Shaun" <rowl(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently bought a Blue ESR meter and assembled it and it is working
>> well. In the instructions it mentions making a jig with a 100 ohm 5 watt
>> resistor attached to some probes for discharging capacitors before
>> testing them with the ESR meter.
>>
>> How does one calculate the required resistor wattage for different
>> capacitor values. Say I wanted to discharge a 63 volt cap at 500
>> microfarads, would 5 watts be enough. Right now I've made a probe jig
>> with four 100 ohm 3 watt resistors for a total of 100 ohms at 12 watts.
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> Shaun
>>

> Hi Shaun,
>
> I could say a few words here but Sam can provide you with much more info.
> See here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm
>
> Tom
Thanks for the link, there is alot of information there but not what I was
asking for.

How do you calculate resistor power rating required to discharge a capacitor
of x volts and y microfarads?

Shaun

From: stratus46 on
On Jun 17, 7:22 pm, "Shaun" <r...(a)nomail.com> wrote:
> "Tom Biasi" <tombi...(a)optonline.net> wrote in message

> > "Shaun" <r...(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
>
> >> I recently bought a Blue ESR meter and assembled it and it is working
> >> well. In the instructions it mentions making a jig with a 100 ohm 5 watt
> >> resistor attached to some probes for discharging capacitors before
> >> testing them with the ESR meter.
>
> >> How does one calculate the required resistor wattage for different
> >> capacitor values.  Say I wanted to discharge a 63 volt cap at 500
> >> microfarads, would 5 watts be enough.  Right now I've made a probe jig
> >> with four 100 ohm 3 watt resistors for a total of  100 ohms at 12 watts.
>
> >> thanks in advance,
>
> >> Shaun
>
> > Hi Shaun,
>
> > I could say a few words here but Sam can provide you with much more info.
> > See here:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm
>
> > Tom
>
>  Thanks for the link, there is alot of information there but not what I was
> asking for.
>
> How do you calculate resistor power rating required to discharge a capacitor
> of x volts and y microfarads?
>
> Shaun

The vast majority of capacitors will be discharged by the time you get
your test probes ready to use. I've been doing ESR stuff several years
and only once did I damage a meter by sending power into a Capacitor
Wizard. It was a small value (around 10 ohms) resistor that fried and
only took a few minutes to replace. Or do you just want formulas?

From: George Herold on

Shaun wrote:
> "Tom Biasi" <tombiasi(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shaun" <rowl(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I recently bought a Blue ESR meter and assembled it and it is working
> >> well. In the instructions it mentions making a jig with a 100 ohm 5 watt
> >> resistor attached to some probes for discharging capacitors before
> >> testing them with the ESR meter.
> >>
> >> How does one calculate the required resistor wattage for different
> >> capacitor values. Say I wanted to discharge a 63 volt cap at 500
> >> microfarads, would 5 watts be enough. Right now I've made a probe jig
> >> with four 100 ohm 3 watt resistors for a total of 100 ohms at 12 watts.
> >>
> >> thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Shaun
> >>

> > Hi Shaun,
> >
> > I could say a few words here but Sam can provide you with much more info.
> > See here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm
> >
> > Tom
> Thanks for the link, there is alot of information there but not what I was
> asking for.
>
> How do you calculate resistor power rating required to discharge a capacitor
> of x volts and y microfarads?

That's a bit of a weird question. Most times caps aren't charged
(much) just sitting on the bench. So any old resistor will do. (Is
there some danger just using a peice of wire?)

The energy stored in a cap is 1/2 CV^2. If you discharge it with a
resistor R it'll take something like the time constant RC. So the
power is energy/time ~ V^2/R. (Hmm the C goes away?) anyway, if the
RC time is short the resistor won't have time to heat up much and you
could use a smaller value. So what's a short time? at a guess
anything shorter than 1 s or maybe 0.1 s.

George H.

> Shaun
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Simple hack to get $600 to your home.
Next: Video cards