From: Kari Laine on
Hi,

I am wondering how these Video cards are made.

I have now studied little bit of Verilog and VHDL - very interesting
indeed. I assume commercial video cards use ASICs.
But are they defined with the HDL-languages ?
I guess yes because otherwise it would be impossible to design them...

Is there anywhere more information how a graphics card is implemented?
Is there just one processor or a collection of chips?

Is there available an FPGA board with which you could test on your own?
I think it should be like a second screen and you would have one
screen connected to a normal VGA-adapter to retain display all the time.

Anyway any comments about this welcomed.

http://www.knjn.com/
Sells a board which one can practice. But I am after an FPGA-board,
which support VGA. Actually one just do the VGA-interface in the FPGA -
right?

Best Regards
Kari

-- PIC - ARM - Microcontrollers - I2C - SPI Keypads - USB-RS232 -
USB-I2C - Accessories http://www.byvac.com I am just a happy customer
From: BobW on

"Kari Laine" <klaine8(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how these Video cards are made.
>
> I have now studied little bit of Verilog and VHDL - very interesting
> indeed. I assume commercial video cards use ASICs.
> But are they defined with the HDL-languages ?
> I guess yes because otherwise it would be impossible to design them...
>
> Is there anywhere more information how a graphics card is implemented?
> Is there just one processor or a collection of chips?
>
> Is there available an FPGA board with which you could test on your own?
> I think it should be like a second screen and you would have one
> screen connected to a normal VGA-adapter to retain display all the time.
>
> Anyway any comments about this welcomed.
>
> http://www.knjn.com/
> Sells a board which one can practice. But I am after an FPGA-board,
> which support VGA. Actually one just do the VGA-interface in the FPGA -
> right?
>
> Best Regards
> Kari

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Look around the Xilinx and Altera websites. You'll find a ton of info about
implementing various graphics standards.

Bob
--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==

From: krw on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:32:23 +0300, Kari Laine <klaine8(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am wondering how these Video cards are made.
>
>I have now studied little bit of Verilog and VHDL - very interesting
>indeed. I assume commercial video cards use ASICs.

Yes. The term to search on is "GPU" ("Graphics Processing Unit").

>But are they defined with the HDL-languages ?

Most likely.

>I guess yes because otherwise it would be impossible to design them...

Not necessarily. There are still a lot of schematics users out there. Don't
ask me why, but... ;-)

>Is there anywhere more information how a graphics card is implemented?

Sure, there is a lot of literature on the web. Look for white papers on the
GPU manufacturer's sites.

>Is there just one processor or a collection of chips?

Everything is "just one processor" anymore. ;-) In this case, it's a graphics
processor.

>Is there available an FPGA board with which you could test on your own?
>I think it should be like a second screen and you would have one
>screen connected to a normal VGA-adapter to retain display all the time.

Sure, this is a common project. You should be able to find such boards with a
Google search. You're not going to make anything competitive with nVidia, for
instance, but you'll learn a *lot*. Be warned, it's not a small project.

>Anyway any comments about this welcomed.
>
>http://www.knjn.com/
>Sells a board which one can practice. But I am after an FPGA-board,
>which support VGA. Actually one just do the VGA-interface in the FPGA -
>right?

Sure. Shouldn't be too hard to find.