From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:46:36 -0500, Ignoramus14096 wrote:

> I bought this camera: Panasonic BL-C210
>
> http://www.panasonic.net/pcc/products/netwkcam/lineup/bl-c210/
>
> The camera can be easily accessed with a browser and streams its data
> through the browser.
>
> However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data (preferably
> video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute chunks,
> compress and upload to remote servers where they would be retained for a
> while.
>
> I would really, really like to do it with scripts as opposed to GUI
> programs.
>
> I have made some progress and already capture still images with scripts,
> but I have not yet figured out how to capture a stream.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated.

You can possibly wrap 'wget' in a script. I use it to copy streaming
radio, but haven't tried it on streaming video. When the file gets the
size you want, tell 'wget' to stop with
kill -s 2 $"WGETPID"
Move the file, and start "wget" again.

From: Ignoramus8975 on
On 2010-06-09, jellybean stonerfish <stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:46:36 -0500, Ignoramus14096 wrote:
>
>> I bought this camera: Panasonic BL-C210
>>
>> http://www.panasonic.net/pcc/products/netwkcam/lineup/bl-c210/
>>
>> The camera can be easily accessed with a browser and streams its data
>> through the browser.
>>
>> However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data (preferably
>> video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute chunks,
>> compress and upload to remote servers where they would be retained for a
>> while.
>>
>> I would really, really like to do it with scripts as opposed to GUI
>> programs.
>>
>> I have made some progress and already capture still images with scripts,
>> but I have not yet figured out how to capture a stream.
>>
>> Any ideas will be appreciated.

> You can possibly wrap 'wget' in a script. I use it to copy streaming
> radio, but haven't tried it on streaming video. When the file gets the
> size you want, tell 'wget' to stop with
> kill -s 2 $"WGETPID"
> Move the file, and start "wget" again.

This is very close to what I do to grab still images. I already do
this with this camera and it works nicely: I grab images, save them by
date and time, and after a while create encrypted tar files of all
activity for every day.

What I want, beyond this, and that was my question, is to capture
video, not just images.

From: Chris Davies on
Ignoramus8975 <ignoramus8975(a)nospam.8975.invalid> wrote:
> Chris, but even under "motion", I need some way of getting the stream
> off the camera, right? E.g., for pictures, I just query a URL and get
> the instant's picture. How do I get a stream out of those things?

I'm not familiar with the camera in qusetion, but given it appears to
provide MJPEG streams (at least), I am fairly sure motion should be
able to extract this.

Maybe netcam_url ?
Chris
From: Rick Jones on
> > what do you want the movies for?

> I dunno, like if someone burglarizes our house.

You are planning on storing these images somewhere other than in your
house then right?

rick jones
From: Ignoramus28478 on
On 2010-06-11, Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:
>> > what do you want the movies for?
>
>> I dunno, like if someone burglarizes our house.
>
> You are planning on storing these images somewhere other than in your
> house then right?

Exactly. I have not done so yet, but that is my plan.