From: Ignoramus14096 on
I bought this camera: Panasonic BL-C210

http://www.panasonic.net/pcc/products/netwkcam/lineup/bl-c210/

The camera can be easily accessed with a browser and streams its data
through the browser.

However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data
(preferably video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute
chunks, compress and upload to remote servers where they would be
retained for a while.

I would really, really like to do it with scripts as opposed to GUI
programs.

I have made some progress and already capture still images with
scripts, but I have not yet figured out how to capture a stream.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

From: Chris Davies on
Ignoramus14096 <ignoramus14096(a)nospam.14096.invalid> wrote:
> However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data
> (preferably video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute
> chunks, compress and upload to remote servers where they would be
> retained for a while.

Do you really want 30 minutes chunks, regardless of where there's no
movement, or would the motion package work better for you?

Chris
From: Ignoramus8975 on
On 2010-06-08, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Ignoramus14096 <ignoramus14096(a)nospam.14096.invalid> wrote:
>> However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data
>> (preferably video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute
>> chunks, compress and upload to remote servers where they would be
>> retained for a while.
>
> Do you really want 30 minutes chunks, regardless of where there's no
> movement, or would the motion package work better for you?

The real answer is that I do not know.

However, my calculations suggest that a modern hard drive is enough to
hold a lot of video, so I have a choice of going both ways.
From: Chris Davies on

On 2010-06-08, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> asked:
> Do you really want 30 minutes chunks, regardless of where there's no
> movement, or would the motion package work better for you?

Ignoramus8975 <ignoramus8975(a)nospam.8975.invalid> replied:
> The real answer is that I do not know.

Unless you really need or expect continuous video I'd strongly recommend
"motion", then.

Chris
From: Ignoramus8975 on
On 2010-06-08, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> Ignoramus14096 <ignoramus14096(a)nospam.14096.invalid> wrote:
>> However, what I would like to do is capture streams of data
>> (preferably video and audio together), split it into, say, 30 minute
>> chunks, compress and upload to remote servers where they would be
>> retained for a while.
>
> On 2010-06-08, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> asked:
>> Do you really want 30 minutes chunks, regardless of where there's no
>> movement, or would the motion package work better for you?
>
> Ignoramus8975 <ignoramus8975(a)nospam.8975.invalid> replied:
>> The real answer is that I do not know.
>

> Unless you really need or expect continuous video I'd strongly recommend
> "motion", then.

Chris, but even under "motion", I need some way of getting the stream
off the camera, right? E.g., for pictures, I just query a URL and get
the instant's picture. How do I get a stream out of those things?

(I did read the manual and did not find much).

When I tried to look at the source of the web page with the video
stream, it was some kind of hideous javascript.