Prev: Zlop.CL
Next: Malware
From: Allen on
Hi,

Can anyone help find a cure for ccollgatee virus. This virus creates
subfolder and uses the same name as the parent folder. Appreciate if anyoe
can help me.

Thanks,

Allen
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Allen" <Allen(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi,
|
| Can anyone help find a cure for ccollgatee virus. This virus creates
| subfolder and uses the same name as the parent folder. Appreciate if anyoe
| can help me.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Allen

Please provide more facts.

What anti virus declared this "virus" name ?

That is, what makes you think it is a virus and not some other kind of malware ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Allen on

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Allen" <Allen(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Can anyone help find a cure for ccollgatee virus. This virus creates
> | subfolder and uses the same name as the parent folder. Appreciate if anyoe
> | can help me.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Allen
>
> Please provide more facts.
>
> What anti virus declared this "virus" name ?
>
> That is, what makes you think it is a virus and not some other kind of malware ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi Dave,

Actually this is a worm which creates a copy of itself in every folder in
all drives of an affected system. The created copies use the folder name
appended with the extension EXE. It also drops a copy of itself as NEW
FOLDER.EXE in all drives, including drive A, of the affected system. The
mentioned routine enables this worm to propagate via floppy disks.

It drops the following copies of itself in the Windows folder:

calc.exe
config_.com
mscalc.exe
windows.exe
It modifies the registry and the file AUTORUN.INF to ensure its automatic
execution at every system startup. The said file contains certain commands
that are automatically run whenever a certain disk is accessed.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Allen" <Allen(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi Dave,
| Actually this is a worm which creates a copy of itself in every folder in
| all drives of an affected system. The created copies use the folder name
| appended with the extension EXE. It also drops a copy of itself as NEW
| FOLDER.EXE in all drives, including drive A, of the affected system. The
| mentioned routine enables this worm to propagate via floppy disks.
|
| It drops the following copies of itself in the Windows folder:
|
| calc.exe
| config_.com
| mscalc.exe
| windows.exe
| It modifies the registry and the file AUTORUN.INF to ensure its automatic
| execution at every system startup. The said file contains certain commands
| that are automatically run whenever a certain disk is accessed.

At least you provided more information. A little reearch provided the following...
W32/Floppy-E -- http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32floppye.html
aka; WORM_GATECOLL.A

Based upon the names of the EXE files it drops, your description and the similarity in the
name "WORM_GATECOLL.A " to what you posted as "Ccollgatee" I'd say we have a match. What
you posted "Ccollgatee" did NOT conform to the naming convention of AV companies. Thus, my
need for more information.

Start with the Sophos module in the below tool.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

From: Ben M. Schorr - MVP on
I don't think I've heard of that one. Have you tried
http://housecall.antivirus.com? Their scanner might take care of it.

What antivirus software are you running?

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo!

"Allen" <Allen(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help find a cure for ccollgatee virus. This virus creates
> subfolder and uses the same name as the parent folder. Appreciate if anyoe
> can help me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allen

Pages: 1