From: Archimedes' Lever on
Hey guys.

I want to make a sheet that has a cell in it where I use a barcode
scanner to grab a barcode.

What I want is for the cell to grab the barcode, and fire it off to a
specific cell, empty the reader cell, and wait for the next barcode scan,
which gets filled into the next cell below the previous fill location.

barcode scanners already have no problem inputting the data. The
problem is that the read barcode does not ever include a carriage return.

Currently, I simply use cursor keys, and advance to the next cell
manually after each read.

Is there a "wait for entry" monitoring code of some sort that waits for
entry into a cell, then begins a timeout, then fires the read data off to
a certain cell? So even if I type into the cell, it starts the timeout
period, and after that expires, it takes the data, whatever it is, and
dispatches it to a certain cell other than the capture cell.

Please tell me that this is a fairly easy code segment that someone has
already churned out.
From: Gary Keramidas on
i use barcode readers for input into excel and all i have to do is scan the
barcode in the programming manual to add a cr to the scan.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:29:04 -0500, "Gary Keramidas"
<gkeramidas(a)XXMSN.com> wrote:

>i use barcode readers for input into excel and all i have to do is scan the
>barcode in the programming manual to add a cr to the scan.

This isn't a programming manual. They are product labels, and scanning
yet another barcode just to get a carriage return isn't any different
than hitting the cursor key. Same number of operations. I am sure that
I can set a timer that waits for entry and begins a count down to a
cursor key move operation.

But thanks anyway.
From: Gary Keramidas on
not talking about a scanning a programming manual. i'm talking about
scanning the programming manual that comes with your scanner that let's you
program the scanner to do what you want. you need to look at the manual,
find the corresponding barcode that adds a cr to the scan and program the
scanner.

i scan ingredient upc's. it opens another workbook, looks up the
description, opens another formula workbook, gets the weight of the
ingredient, adds all of this information to the main workbook and then moves
to the next row for the next ingredient to be scanned.

this is all done with one simple scan of the ingredient upc.

From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 01:44:53 -0500, "Gary Keramidas"
<gkeramidas(a)XXMSN.com> wrote:

>not talking about a scanning a programming manual. i'm talking about
>scanning the programming manual that comes with your scanner that let's you
>program the scanner to do what you want. you need to look at the manual,
>find the corresponding barcode that adds a cr to the scan and program the
>scanner.
>
>i scan ingredient upc's. it opens another workbook, looks up the
>description, opens another formula workbook, gets the weight of the
>ingredient, adds all of this information to the main workbook and then moves
>to the next row for the next ingredient to be scanned.
>
>this is all done with one simple scan of the ingredient upc.

Ahhh.... It is all clear to me now.

Since all the ME and most others here do is scan it and visually
examine the result, and I am the only one creating a print job for the
verification action, I doubt that anyone would care if I get it to
function that way.

Thanks, man. That'll work, I am certain. It would seem that at least
this industry knew how to establish and adhere to standards and
practices, so I am sure that all but the most basic scanners will have
the programmability capability that you describe.