From: Jacob on
I was trying to get a remote Desktop with VNC. It works fine as long as a
user is logged on to a graphical Desktop. Is there a way to get the
graphical login with VNC?
I�m running CentOs 5.4 (64 bit) with gnome

Thanks in advance
Jacob

From: Bob Tennent on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:00:05 +0100, Jacob wrote:
> I was trying to get a remote Desktop with VNC. It works fine as long as a
> user is logged on to a graphical Desktop. Is there a way to get the
> graphical login with VNC?

Are you using vncserver or x11vnc to start up vnc on the remote
system? You can configure automatic start-up of a vnc server in
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers.

Bob T.
From: habibielwa7id on
On Feb 28, 8:00 pm, "Jacob" <spamt...(a)ewetel.net> wrote:
> I was trying to get a remote Desktop with VNC. It works fine as long as a
> user is logged on to a graphical Desktop. Is there a way to get the
> graphical login with VNC?
> I m running CentOs 5.4 (64 bit) with gnome
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jacob

Do you want to start a temporary session or a permanent service on
the system?
you can start a vnc session even if you are a normal user and not
root, But of course the firewall must permits the connection if there
is a firewall. Command are,
vncserver :1
It will prompts you asking for a password
If you want to configure the service to be persistent across reboots,
The service called vncserver
control it by modifying /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and start the
service
You may use these options there to start 2 services when the system
starts
VNCSERVERS="1:root 2:root"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768 -nolisten tcp "
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768 -nolisten tcp "
This will open 2 ports only ready for connections,
5901/tcp open vnc-1
5902/tcp open vnc-2
if you want to use gnome or kde modify in your home .vnc/xstartup
file and restart the service.