From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-08, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is behaviour you have as well in vim, though with other keys of
> course; <U> (undo) goes back in the chain and <ctrl-R> (redo) goes up
> the chain. There seems really no need (besides being used to old vi's
> behaviour, and reluctance to switch) for the special case of toggling.

The problem is that, in vim, if I try to use 'uu', Something Unexpected
Happens. Without having been told about "ctrl-R", I had no way of
recovering. nvi's solution satisfies the principle of least astonishment;
if you don't do something that you would never do in normal usage in
old vi, it works identically.

> If there's something special in nvi I probably just don't understand
> your description. In vim you can go up and down in the undo chain as
> well. IMO there's no need for an additional <U> <U> toggling when you
> have <U> <ctrl-R> as the general case available. But YMMV, of course.

I assume you mean "u", not "U" here?

> BTW, in vim you've in addition identifying messages for undo's (if you
> like this information), like: "1 change; before #112 1 seconds ago".

Yup. I don't care either way.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Christian Brabandt on
On 2010-04-08, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-04-08, Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> This is behaviour you have as well in vim, though with other keys of
>> course; <U> (undo) goes back in the chain and <ctrl-R> (redo) goes up
>> the chain. There seems really no need (besides being used to old vi's
>> behaviour, and reluctance to switch) for the special case of toggling.
>
> The problem is that, in vim, if I try to use 'uu', Something Unexpected
> Happens. Without having been told about "ctrl-R", I had no way of
> recovering. nvi's solution satisfies the principle of least astonishment;
> if you don't do something that you would never do in normal usage in
> old vi, it works identically.

If you are using vim in 'compatible' mode, nothing unexpected should
happen. If you'd like to use vim in nocompatible mode, you can set
:set cpo+=u
which makes vim's u command behave like vi's u command

regards,
Christian
From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-08, Christian Brabandt <cb-news(a)256bit.org> wrote:
> On 2010-04-08, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
>> In nvi, hitting 'u' repeatedly toggles the last change, as it does in
>> regular vi. The usage is:
>>
>> u => undo (or redo if you just did an undo)
>> . after u => continue in that direction through the undo/redo stack
>> . after moving => redo last change

> Was this really the case for plain old vi?

The '.' after u part was not. The toggling when you hit 'u' repeatedly
was.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Christian Brabandt on
On 2010-04-08, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-04-08, Christian Brabandt <cb-news(a)256bit.org> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-08, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
>>> In nvi, hitting 'u' repeatedly toggles the last change, as it does in
>>> regular vi. The usage is:
>>>
>>> u => undo (or redo if you just did an undo)
>>> . after u => continue in that direction through the undo/redo stack
>>> . after moving => redo last change
>
>> Was this really the case for plain old vi?
>
> The '.' after u part was not. The toggling when you hit 'u' repeatedly
> was.

That was, what I meant.

regards,
Christian
From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-08, Christian Brabandt <cb-news(a)256bit.org> wrote:
> On 2010-04-08, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:

>>> Was this really the case for plain old vi?
>>
>> The '.' after u part was not. The toggling when you hit 'u' repeatedly
>> was.
>
> That was, what I meant.

I'm pretty sure that spamming 'u' toggled the last command back and forth
repeatedly. I don't have one to check anymore.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last