From: Ant on
Using the tilde key in VI allows me to change the case of a letter.

Using the period key allows me to repeat the change for subsequent
letters of a word.

Is there a (more elegant) way to uppercase one word?
From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-07, Ant <ant(a)example.com> wrote:
> Using the tilde key in VI allows me to change the case of a letter.
>
> Using the period key allows me to repeat the change for subsequent
> letters of a word.
>
> Is there a (more elegant) way to uppercase one word?

Use nvi and set tildeop, then do "~e" from the first letter of the word.

(This kind of thing is why I consider nvi "the one true vi".)

Note that there is no editor "VI" that I know of; "vi" is a lowercase
name.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Janis Papanagnou on
Janis Papanagnou schrieb:
> Ant schrieb:
>> Using the tilde key in VI allows me to change the case of a letter.
>>
>> Using the period key allows me to repeat the change for subsequent
>> letters of a word.
>>
>> Is there a (more elegant) way to uppercase one word?
>
> If you have access to vim there are arbitrary ways to do that; e.g.
> select word/range/paragraph/whatever in visual mode and type 'u'.

I meant; type 'U'. ('u' means lowercase.)

Sorry!

From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Ant <ant(a)example.com> wrote:
> Using the tilde key in VI allows me to change the case of a letter.
>
> Using the period key allows me to repeat the change for subsequent
> letters of a word.
>
> Is there a (more elegant) way to uppercase one word?

yEH. hOLD DOWN THE TILDE KEY UNTIL YOU GET TO THE END OF THE WORD.

oR SENTENCE.

Sid

From: Ben C on
On 2010-04-07, Ant <ant(a)example.com> wrote:
> Using the tilde key in VI allows me to change the case of a letter.
>
> Using the period key allows me to repeat the change for subsequent
> letters of a word.
>
> Is there a (more elegant) way to uppercase one word?

gUw or gUiw, which saves you having to find the beginning of the word.