From: Smirnoff on
XP Pro, SP3

Some time ago I used a Dell recovery disk to reinstall XP as I was unable to
access the recovery partition.

As far as I remember, I only entered:

Computer Description: Username's Computer

Full Computer Name: Home

Workgroup: Workgroup

Although the machine is working OK, it has bugged me that when I open Win
Explorer I am presented with the following when viewing Documents and
Settings:

C:\Documents and Settings\(Username).HOME-25XXXXXXXX\My Documents

The HOME-25XXXXXXXX reference is that of an old BT Hub (I have used two
others since) and is also added to the Administrator account.

Have tried renaming but am told that it is a system file and cannot be
renamed or moved.

My username account (with administrator rights) is just a single name.

What did I do wrong and can I correct it without having to reinstall again?

From: proteanthread on
On May 8, 4:31 am, "Smirnoff" <some...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> XP Pro, SP3
>
> Some time ago I used a Dell recovery disk to reinstall XP as I was unable to
> access the recovery partition.
>
> As far as I remember, I only entered:
>
> Computer Description: Username's Computer
>
> Full Computer Name: Home
>
> Workgroup: Workgroup
>
> Although the machine is working OK, it has bugged me that when I open Win
> Explorer I am presented with the following when viewing Documents and
> Settings:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\(Username).HOME-25XXXXXXXX\My Documents
>
> The HOME-25XXXXXXXX reference is that of an old BT Hub (I have used two
> others since) and is also added to the Administrator account.
>
> Have tried renaming but am told that it is a system file and cannot be
> renamed or moved.
>
> My username account (with administrator rights) is just a single name.
>
> What did I do wrong and can I correct it without having to reinstall again?

You didn't do a pure clean install, did you? (meaning, you didn't
format the hard drive first)
From: Smirnoff on

"proteanthread" <rtdos(a)rtdos.com> wrote in message
> On May 8, 4:31 am, "Smirnoff" <some...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> XP Pro, SP3
>>
>> Some time ago I used a Dell recovery disk to reinstall XP as I was unable
>> access the recovery partition.
>>
>> As far as I remember, I only entered:
>>
>> Computer Description: Username's Computer
>>
>> Full Computer Name: Home
>>
>> Workgroup: Workgroup
>>
>> Although the machine is working OK, it has bugged me that when I open Win
>> Explorer I am presented with the following when viewing Documents and
>> Settings:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\(Username).HOME-25XXXXXXXX\My Documents
>>
>> The HOME-25XXXXXXXX reference is that of an old BT Hub (I have used two
>> others since) and is also added to the Administrator account.
>>
>> Have tried renaming but am told that it is a system file and cannot be
>> renamed or moved.
>>
>> My username account (with administrator rights) is just a single name.
>>
>> What did I do wrong and can I correct it without having to reinstall
>> again?
>

> You didn't do a pure clean install, did you? (meaning, you didn't
> format the hard drive first)

As I recall, I couldn't access the computer. It was badly infected, that's
why I needed the reinstallation disk.

Suppose I should have formatted the disk after initial reinstallation and
then repeated the operation.

Have now copied user profile to new account and deleted the old one.